Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone register their cars in AZ instead of CA?

summerlove
    Just wondering - has anyone registered their cars in AZ instead of CA? Due to the new registration fees, I was thinking of registering my suburban there. My boat and trailer are resistered there. I have a home there, so I think it would help, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Rick

al cole'holic
    summerlove:
    Just wondering - has anyone registered their cars in AZ instead of CA? Due to the new registration fees, I was thinking of registering my suburban there. My boat and trailer are resistered there. I have a home there, so I think it would help, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Rick We have had our truck registered from Idaho here since we bought it and haven't had any of the hassles I thought we would have. It may be a good idea, but then what happens if they start crackin down on out of state plates on vehicles with the drivers having Ca DL??

Trailer Park Casanova
    We attempted to, but Triple A warned us off.
    Eventually Calif will catch up to you and collect they told us,, and with back penalties. They said they see it all the time.
    A friend recently didn't get his paycheck.
    The State held it up, finally catching up to him registering his cars and boat to his moms place in Havebrew.
    Others on the board say they have no problems,,

Outnumbered
    Originally posed by Summerlove:
    If it wasn't for prior governor Pete Wilson "LOWERING" the registration fees by $4-5 BILLION/year a number of years back the State of CA would never have been placed into the situation it is now. That said, I'm not a big Gray fan, but he didn't necessairly do this all on his own. Gray inherited that boondoggle. He's just the scapegoat for the entire legislature's shortcomings. My $.02
    I'm not one to usually stir up the shit but don't you want to do your part to make up for Wilson's under charge
    Personally, I think this is gonna be the last straw for Davis.
    I say boot the big spender (of our money) out before we go into the final tail spin.
    JMO
    OL

AzDon
    My vehicles are all registered in AZ!! except my boat (Ca boat reg. is cheaper!) I think your best bet is to get an AZ license and declare yourself an AZ resident that vacations at the beach 5 days a week. If you ever get caught OUI in Az with an AZ license and refuse the sobriety test,it's a fine, but they can't take your license because they haven't attached boating misdeeds to drivers licenses (yet!)Also, we don't hafta smog-check our cars EVER in Mohave and LaPaz counties
    Seriously though, your residency is generally defined by where your kids go to school and where you pay your taxes. You could be an AZ resident who works in CA, file your taxes here, get refund of CA taxes and pay AZ taxes instead! Before doing so though, consider that AZ doesn't have any "state disability" and unemployment here is really low!

summerlove
    Old Lavey:
    Originally posed by Summerlove:
    If it wasn't for prior governor Pete Wilson "LOWERING" the registration fees by $4-5 BILLION/year a number of years back the State of CA would never have been placed into the situation it is now. That said, I'm not a big Gray fan, but he didn't necessairly do this all on his own. Gray inherited that boondoggle. He's just the scapegoat for the entire legislature's shortcomings. My $.02
    I'm not one to usually stir up the shit but don't you want to do your part to make up for Wilson's under charge
    JMO
    OL I was a little nervous asking this, because of that! I will take my lashings like a man cry I still have two other cars that are expensive and the fees are more than the chevy, and the chevy is always in Havasu, I wasn't trying to be a hipocrite, but I deserve it if one gets that impression. It wasn't necessairly my intent. But, I guess I had it coming....

TRIMDOG
    Before we boot him, somebody should pin him and shave his head. That gay-ass pompadore(sp?) is really hard on the eyes cry

Mr.Havasu
    Hi Rick,
    Before we lived here in Havasu permenently, we use to be week enders like you.
    We registered our trucks here back then because it was alot cheaper on tags and insurance.
    Here's the catch:
    1.- You have to get your arizona drivers lic.(Which will expire when you are 65)
    2.- You have to get Arizona Ins.(Which is cheaper than Calif.)
    3.- If you get pulled over in Calif. you need to say you live in Arizona and are visiting Calif.
    It worked great for us!
    P.S. The wait at the MVD here in havasu is about 10 minutes.

summerlove
    Hey John, welcome back from NY! Hope your road trip was uneventful! Not to change the subject here (I think I'll leave well enough alone and just do what I've been doing all these years), but we're coming into town next Thursday night, August 14th. Have you had a chance to detail the boat yet - I'm really looking forward to it! Maybe RD can help. I hear he needs the money! wink I'll give you a call Friday morning (15th). Rick

Moneypitt
    If stopped in Ca. with Az. lic & reg., don't admit to working in Ca. Thats one of the criteria they use for demanding Ca. reg. My boat and trailer are reg'd in Idaho, and I have a home there, and here in Ca. I tell them I'm in Id. more than Ca., was there last week, and going back next week. That's my story, and I stick to it!!!....Moneypitt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast