Thread: Defrag+Disk Clean up?

HammerDown
    Anything wrong with performing these functions once a week? Could it hurt anything?
    Thanks for any info.

twistedpair
    Nope, in fact you can set up your maintenence wizard to do it automatically for you overnight when your offline.

RiverN00B
    I wouldn't defrag that often, it is hard on your HDD, I'd say once every other week would be more than enough depending on how much you install and download and so on... I should do it more than I do presently, but its not something that important because it won't improve the performance of my 550 wink

Trash
    I don't do defrag as often as I used to for some of the above mentioned reasons. It wears the hard drive out if done excessively. I haven't seen any performance improvements for the most part. The biggest reason I don't do it too often is because every drive has a write error rate, and the more you defrag, the more chances you have for a read/write error. I've found that with the numerous, large files I've got stored it has caused some to become corrupt due to write errors. It is very rare, but has occurred. With two drives at 40 and 80 GB it also takes a long time which equates to more run time.
    I usually defrag about 4 times per year if that.

RiverN00B
    4 times a year, you got me beat About the only thing I do that comes close to that is reformat... I think in the last two months, I have reformatted my computer 5 times... and switched between three different HDD's. Defraggin just isn't something I worry about nowadays...
    Theres a story behind those reformats...
    [ March 12, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: RiverN00B ]

BigBoyToys
    HammerDown:
    Anything wrong with performing these functions once a week? Could it hurt anything?
    Thanks for any info. Personally, I only defrag once about every 3 months. It all depends on computer usage and "uptime". If your computer is powered on 24/7, I'd suggest defrag about every 2 weeks. If it's only on a few hours a day, once every couple months should be fine. I ran defrag yesterday on my W2k Advanced Server machine and was only 1% fragmented and the last time I ran defrag was about 4 months ago....

BigBoyToys
    The actual ISP server and Webserver....that's another story...

GasTurbine
    HammerDown:
    Thanks for any info. You should do the disk clean up, before doing the defrag.
    You can "clean up" as much as you want, but I defrag based on the HD use. If you surf 90% of the time, and open Word the other 10%, there is no need for a weekly defrag.
    Now if swapping big files...opening 12-15 programs per day-every day, or if youve just installed a bunch of stuff, then yes...a more aggressive defrag schedule would be merited.
    Depends on use, but it really doesnt hurt anything on a good drive.

HammerDown
    Thanks for the feed back...guess I'll lighten up on the Defraging!