Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for air compressor

MagicMtnDan
    I want to buy an air compressor for use in and around my home. I'd like to use it for a variety of jobs including air tools (automotive and nailer too) as well as maintaining tires, etc.
    Should I get a portable compressor ("hot dog" type) or a larger one with wheels (like the ones they sell at Costco for about $250)?
    I know you guys know your stuff about power tools - what do you recommend? Where to buy it? (if I get one at Sears will it have a Craftsman lifetime warranty?) Thanks

superdave013
    Craftsman lifetime warranty is only hand tools. but they will fix or can get parts for most of their stuff.
    I would say get one with a 30 gal tank if you want to use air tools. A 2 hp will do but you will have to wait on it some if your getting after something with a die grinder.
    I hate oil less compressors, they are loud and don't last as long.
    We buy a ton of compressors from Grainger. They are Dayton brand and seem to hold up pretty well.

rrrr
    Look closely at the compressor ratings. The tank size is not as important.
    Drills, grinders and impact wrenches use around 4-6 CFM. If you want to be able to run a die grinder continuously, the compressor has to be pretty big.
    I recommend a two stage compressor. It will have two cylinders, and some will have an intercooler between stages. They cost more, but are more efficient.
    For most home shop applications a compressor capable of 4 CFM at 90 PSI would be adequate, but I would personally get something around 6-8 CFM. As always, cost is the problem.
    Here's a table of tool air consumption....
    http://www.northerntool.com/aircompressors/cfm.htm
    [ September 23, 2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

mike37
    if you want to use air tools.
    you need to look at the CFMs of the air compressor HP and tank size dont mater
    but the biger the tank the more reserve you have
    look at the air tools you will be useing they have a cfm rating get a compressor that meets or exseeds that number
    any compressor will work for tires

Nubbs
    I purchased the Craftsman upright 30 gallon compressor about 2 years ago. It's oil less so it's a little loud, but I'm real happy with it. I think it's got a 6 horse motor. If you watch the ads, Sears usually has them on special once a month.

HOSS
    Buy the 2 stage compressor the first time. Its not portable. If you plan on using a DA sander then its the only option. I wish I would have kept my portable 30 gal since I sold it for 150. But I got my use out of it. The 2 stage is the only way. I recommend a 100 gal tank but an 80 is minimum.
    I bought a Craftsman but don`t advise doing it. Buy cheap cause if the air pump goes you can replace it. Mine used alot of oil at first but after 10hrs it hasn`t used a drop since. That was 5 years ago. Twin cylinder is not at all necessary unless you have a mile of line and 20 people using it at a given time.

gnarley
    Get more than you need & pay more than you WANT to afford, you won't be sorry later.
    I bought a 5 HP 60 gallon upright 2 cylinder single stage Sanborn & cast iron pump for $375 12 years ago & it has been great! I don’t remember the output but I've ported several sets of heads & painted with it but wish I would of spent just a little more & bought a 2 stage. If you get a good one it should last years so don't get cheep on the price & even try to listen to how loud it is before you pay $$$ I have had many friends listen to mine & ask me to trade for theirs, as mine is fairly quiet compared to an aluminum pump.

Tom Brown
    Oilless compressors suck. They are noisy and get noisier. Mine lasted about a year.
    My Dad's 1.5hp hot dog style contractor compressor has an oil filled crank case and is WAY more quiet and puts out significantly more air than the 5 hp/30 gallon oilless ProAir II compressor I picked up at CostCo.
    At 750 watts/hp, there are no 5 hp motors that plug into a 110v outlet. My understanding is, that figure is how much electrical power they can dissipate, not how much rotational power comes out the output shaft.
    -- Tom

johnboy
    MMD, do like Hoss said and get a two stage, I prefer twin cyl, two stage. I bought mine de Velbiss (sp?)(5 years ago) with a 100 gal tank at a garage sale for $200 with a 3 phase motor on it. $250 bucks (new motor later) I had a $3000 compressor that would run a mid size body shop. Right now it is mounted out side my pops shop, as soon as our house sales I will be bulding a new shop and the pad will be outside on it as well. Get more than you think you will ever need and put it outside.
    Johnboy

dorC
    Hint: look at the amperage of the motor. There is NO WAY a 15a 120v circuit will support a 6hp motor. A true 6hp motor will be over 12" in diameter. It will pull close to 50amps at 220v.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast