Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New California Noise Laws

BigBoyToys
    FYI, our soon to be ex-governor quietly signed AB1555 into law on September 24. That is the law that pertains to new noise limits on boats. In a nutshell, ALL boats must have mufflers and cannot exceed the following noise limits.
    654.05. (a) A person may not operate a motorized recreational
    vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that
    exceeds the following noise levels:
    (1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level
    of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
    recreational vessel.
    (2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and
    before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a
    distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise
    level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
    recreational vessel.
    Better break out that ticket book now 'cause there ain't no way my boats are gonna meet those numbers......mufflers or no mufflers!

BigBoyToys
    Here's a little more on it....
    (b) A motorized recreational vessel that is operated in or upon
    the inland waters, or in or upon ocean waters that are within one
    mile of the coastline of the state shall be equipped at all times
    with a muffler or a muffler system that is all of the following:
    (1) In good working condition.
    (2) In constant operation.
    (3) Installed in a manner that effectively brings the vessel into
    compliance with Section 654.05.

Boatcop
    What's "new" about the noise laws?
    They've been on the books and enforced for over 20 years.
    The only difference now is the way they are measured.
    Here's the text of the law that's been around for as long as I can remember.
    654. The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorized recreational vessel shall be effectively muffled at all times to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and as may be necessary to comply with Section 654.05.
    This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard
    permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the
    designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
    654.05. (a) No person shall operate any motorized recreational vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that
    exceeds the following noise levels:
    (1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (b) Testing procedures employed to determine noise levels shall be in accordance with the Exterior Sound Level Measurement Procedure
    For Pleasure Motorboats of the Society of Automotive Engineers in its recommended practice designated SAE J34. The department may, by
    regulation, revise the measurement procedure when deemed necessary to adjust to advances in technology.
    (c) This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard
    permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the
    designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a
    race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
    654.06. No person shall sell or offer for sale at retail any internal combustion engine for use on any motorized recreational vessel which, when operated, exceeds the following noise levels:
    (a) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1974, and before January 1, 1976, a noise level of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (b) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (c) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.

BigBoyToys
    So, is it worse or better in the way that they are measured? I wasn't sure what the previous laws were. Guess I must be lucky

gnarley
    Alan, can you give a comparison to the different levels of compliance such as 82 DBA's @ 50 feet would sound like what? How would someone determine what their own exhaust noise level is?

Infomaniac
    Looks like all Marine Assault engines need to come with a pre 1976 certificate. wink I'm sure I can come up with at least one component that falls in that time frame. The engine was just damaged and had to be rebuilt Too bad the only thing that could be saved were the cam gear bolts.
    [ October 12, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Boatcop
    Here's a really good study of noise analysis, if you've got the time to read through it all:
    Noise And Its Effects
    Here's a list of comparable sound levels:*
    Police siren: 118
    Rock band, disco: 115
    Missing muffler: 115
    Hole(s) in muffler: 111
    Tailpipe damage: 109
    Circular saw: 107
    Hole/break in pipe from engine to muffler: 105
    Internal muffler deterioration: 104
    Heavy truck at 90 feet (40 mph): 99
    Power mower: 92
    Freight train at 50 feet: 88
    Printing press: 80
    Vacuum cleaner: 74
    Busy street traffic: 70
    Air-conditioning unit: 60
    Interior of a quiet car: 50
    Private office: 41
    Library: 33
    Threshold of hearing: 0
    *From Albuquerque, NM Published study)
    Interesting facts:
    Sound at 155 decibels can burn the skin.
    Sound at 180 decibels can kill.
    If there's any doubt to the damaging effect of noise, I'm a walking, talking example. I have significant hearing loss in most ranges, and an almost constant ringing in my ears. This, I've attributed to headphones, concerts, and my choice of music. (now and as a kid) Not to mention 28 years of exposure to heavy machinery in and around boats and aircraft, and almost 10 years in ship engine rooms.
    You may not realize how much permanent damage you're doing to your hearing, from just one day on the flattie.
    And it IS permanent. Once it's gone, it doesn't come back. Cochlear implants and hearing aids don't give your hearing back to you, all they do is ampiify sound to make what nerves you've got left better able to percieve it.

Kindsvater Flat
    I don't think with the cam and compression that I run. I could fall into those numbers. No matter the muffler or how much water I run through them. As of now with mufflers and water I cannot talk to my passenger at 3k rpm.

BigBoyToys
    Power Mower is 92? eek! Time to retire the powerboats and break out the canoe folks!

Havasu Hangin'
    I think the HH Tugboat is safe- it's alot quieter than a printing press...
    ...although the printing press is probably faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast