Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the grocery store workers striking for?

totenhosen
    As topic states. Do you listen to both sides and than decide whether you will cross picket lines?Do you cross picket lines?

MagicMtnDan
    I went to the grocery store Sunday night and was met by a group of picketers at the driveway into the parking lot and then more near the entrances to the store. In my opinion, workers on strike should not be allowed to be at the front door.
    I was met by one of the picketers who asked me if I was going to honor their picket line. I told him yes, just as soon as he comes to my office next time I have an issue with my company. Then I went into the store and made my purchase.
    I am sympathetic to the plight of these people - I hope they make a fair wage and enjoy nice benefits. But ultimately they will be paid what the market will bear which is what they are worth. If they don't like it they can do what everyone (non-union employees) do, look for another job.
    I do not want to be hassled going into a store, company or place of business. The picketers should be out at the curb and not at the front door. People should be aware of the strike but not be thrust into the middle of it. And I resent the unions for taking this tact. As a result, I have zero sympathy for these unions and I hope they "go away."
    [ October 14, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

Rivertoys
    They make more than a fair wage. My best friend in High School and College worked at Ralphs stacking fruit for $16/hour. Full benefits.
    As far as I know they are on strike because the company isn't going to pay as much of their benefit cost as they had been. SO benefits will cost them more (or cost them something) now.
    Same thing is happening at my place of employment and many others I know. That's just how companies are dealing with the high cost of benefits, by passing it along to the ones that are benefitting from them. I don't have a problem with it. Maybe they just shouldn't offer benefits to their employees and have them pay the full price of health care insurance on thier own!!! That would be some humble pie for the strikers. wink
    RTJas <- Not a union fan.

hot_diggity_dog
    UNION STRIKERS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT wink
    After the strike is over, are you expecting to have all of the previous customers return, to shop at that store????????????
    If your answer is YES
    Then why would you harass them for shopping today when you expect them to return after you give them shit!!!!!!!
    You have the right to join the union and to strike when ever you want.
    But you don't have the right to give me or my family shit for shopping at a store your are picketing
    Keep this shit up and you will lose many customer's in the future. wink
    Hot (You have to do what you have to do!) Diggity Dog

Havasu_Dreamin
    My health benefits are going up and while the company is absorbing most of the increase they can't be expected to absorb all of it. This is just another example of the entitlement mindset in this country!
    RTJas, I'm with you, I'm not a fan of unions either.

572Daytona
    I can't believe that CA even has a union for such a thing. I prefer to bag my own groceries and have been doing it for years. Nothing else to do while you wait for the clerk to ring things up. Do the 7-11 slurpee machine operators have a union too? Talk about unskilled non-essential labor.

superdave013
    I hear they are payin 15 bucks an hour for part time help right now.
    [ October 14, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

eliminatedsprinter
    We are going to be involved in it. The cost of this strike will most likely be passed on to us in the form of price increases.
    [ October 14, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

MagicMtnDan
    superdave013:
    I heard they are payin 15 bucks an hour for part time help right now. I saw a sign at Von's - $17.90/hour for some of the workers they need.

jbtrailerjim
    I agree with MMD that they should not be allowed to stand in front of the door and bother you. I'm not a fan of unions at all. If your not happy with the changes your company you work for are making; then go look for another job.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast