Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOY'S AND OUR TOY'S...

FRENCHIE
    Any one got any reccomendations or feedback on GPS Sytems? What to stay away from which are a great by? I have been looking for the last 2 weeks and like the Garmin - Vista! Im thinking of making the purchase for future ocean trips and trip to Lake Powell etc booked for next summer. Any key things you definately want and need....any input greatly appreciated.....thanx...leon

VillainDave
    I have a Magellan Meridian color which sells for 499.99 and a buddy of mine has the Garmin GPSMAP 176C mounted on his boat and they both worked perfect at Powell and I also used it at Glendo just for fun!
    I would get that has color they are easier to read than the black and white.

FRENCHIE
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE PAYED FOR THE GARMIN?

Jbb
    I got a Garmin gps 111+ I like it...
    speaking of new toys I just put this one together..

You can see the build up
    Here!
    [ September 11, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

MagicMtnDan
    Hey Frenchie, on the recent Catalina trip, Beer Hunter used a Garmin 176C. He had a chip in it with even more details on depths and landmark locations. The color display was very good and could be seen even in direct sunlight.
    This is a very interesting topic and I look forward to what others are using and recommend. I know there was a thread on this over at RiverRacerX - I'll try to find it and post a link to it later...

FRENCHIE
    MMD WHERE THE HEC YA BEEN? DID YOU GET THAT P.M. LAST WEEK AFTER I WENT DOWN TO SEE sHOCKWAVEBD? gOT SOME GREAT INFO, I THINK MY MINDS MADE UP!!!!NOW WORKING ON GEL COAT LAYOUT...HAVE SOME PICS OF THE COLORS AND LAYOUT WILL SEND TO YA...DROP ME A LINE.P.M.

Havasu Luvr
    I did some research on the net and I prefer Garmin. I considered the 176 model because it is portable ie. boat, truck, hiking. Then I decided that I would not use it in the truck since I have On-Star and it is alittle bulky to back pack so I thought I would need a larger screen for the ocean trips. I just ordered the 182C, it has a 5" color screen for better visual and I can surface mount it to my helm. I also purchased the Blue Chart chip (California/Mexico) for better detail on my ocean trips to Catalina. I would not want to get caught in the fog that rolls in unexpectedly. I paid $1,046.00 for the 182C, Blue Chart and shipping.
    HL

CA Stu
    Garmin eMap with the RAM mounting system. Got it through http://www.cycoactive.com I have the suction cup mount for use in my boat and truck, handlebar mounts for some crap, and solid mounts on my other crap. Great system, well thought out and solid as a rock.
    Used for a couple of years, seen 9000+ miles on the handlebars of my enduro, seen streetbike miles, boat miles, 4wd miles, truck miles. Runs off 2 AAs or 12v, has removable memory chips (this is a nice feature), dead nuts accurate, has a decent sized screen, which is backlit (for night boating).
    Very rugged, not too expensive, and very versatile. Apart from pilots on the board, I would guess my GPS has seen the most miles and the shittiest conditions out there, and it still works like a champ. Highly recommended.
    For software, you will need Garmin Roads and Rec, Garmin Marine, and for route planning, DeLorme Street Atlas is the handiest program.
    Good Luck
    CA Stu

CA Stu
    CA Stu:
    Garmin eMap with the RAM mounting system. Got it through Cycoactive I have the suction cup mount for use in my boat and truck, handlebar mounts for some crap, and solid mounts on my other crap. Great system, well thought out and solid as a rock.
    Used for a couple of years, seen 9000+ miles on the handlebars of my enduro, seen streetbike miles, boat miles, 4wd miles, truck miles. Runs off 2 AAs or 12v, has removable memory chips (this is a nice feature), dead nuts accurate, has a decent sized screen, which is backlit (for night boating).
    Very rugged, not too expensive, and very versatile. Apart from pilots on the board, I would guess my GPS has seen the most miles and the shittiest conditions out there, and it still works like a champ. Highly recommended.
    For software, you will need Garmin Roads and Rec, Garmin Marine, and for route planning, DeLorme Street Atlas is the handiest program.
    Good Luck
    CA Stu

FRENCHIE
    THANX, GREAT INFO, PROBABLY BEST YET...WILL LOOK AT YOUR MODEL ON LINE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast