Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Situation 2

HCS
    I feel like kickin sand.
    Ok my kids in preschool right, So I come home from work and the wifey says, we got a problem with school. I say ok what? She says our boy "Ryan" 3 years old mind you. Hit the teacher in the face and knock her glasses off. I said so.
    She says, well the teacher hit him back, I said where? she says in the face. So I ask is he all right? she says yes. So I said "**** it".
    So the teacher disgusted with her self goes home for the day. The next day the school suspends her pending a hearing and they want us to attend. I tell my wife "**** it" fire the bitch. Instead the teacher resigns. There for no hearing. The school has to report the incident to the Cal. state board of education because schools have a no strike policy. So the cal. state board of education will be contacting us.
    Question is should I "**** it" like my boy says or press the issue?
    [ December 13, 2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

78Eliminator
    Gosh. Well, she shouldn't have ever hit your kid. I don't care if he pulled a knife on her. BUT, he also shouldn't have hit her. If a 3 year old "intentionally" hit me in the face, and I was the teacher, I would ask that he be removed from the school. Why did you child think he had the right to punch someone? Is he aggressive? If he ISN'T, then maybe he was protecting himself from something the teacher was doing. If he IS, then you need to reevaluate your parenting, since a teacher shouldn't have to worry about a kid hitting her.
    I am not judging you or your kid. I don't know you OR your kid. I am just giving you feedback and plans of action based on scenarios. I hope I helped....

Her454
    i agree with 78 200%.

challengerjet
    hardcore, here's my $.02.
    personally, i wouldn't press the issue. she has obviously put herself through hell over it, i mean she resigned. that's pretty hard core.
    it's possible, that it was a reaction, one that you or i would probably have as well. granted, your son is 3yrs old and she is a teacher that is around that type of behavior daily. but remember when you were in school? if you acted up, you got smacked, i know i did. i spent many afternoons in Mr. Sipco's (elementary principal)office getting my ass whipped for something i did or pulled. as far as your son, i'm sure that his actions were either a reaction or just plain anger. i have a 2 yr old son, and let me tell you, this kid is all boy. he loves to wrestle and play rough but that has been brought on by me. if my son hit an adult, i honestly would expect him to be repremanded. hitting him back may or may not be the right response but i would trust that an adult in her position would punish accordingly.
    you're the parent, you do what's right for you and yours. if it were me, i'd drop it and then i would pay close attention to my son and find out if it were an anger problem or just a bad day.
    cjet

HCS
    Actually that was my first thought was I figured my kid deserved it. Kids can be little brats at times. I thought they would through him out of school. I was suprise the school had to make such a big issue out of it. I guess it's because she hit him in the head. She should have spanked his ass. They acted like the teacher was the problem so I figured fine get rid of her.
    I figure it must be the sue happy people that cause the schools to jump through so many hoops.
    Why does the Cal. board of education have to get involved? Sheeesh!
    Bureaucracy.

DogHouse
    78, I would not draw too many conclusions regarding parenting practices/skills based on the limited information of a single incident. Kids go through lots of phases. 3 yr olds do all kinds of squirrely stuff including hitting, biting, screaming, and all sorts of other ways to throw a fit when they don't get what they want. It takes time for a parent to help the child learn the right behavior, certainly doesn't happen overnight. I'm not surprised at all that a 3 yr old hit a teacher and I also wouldn't immediately assume that the teacher was doing anything wrong up to that point to provoke the child. What happened next was wrong of course when the teacher lost control and hit the child in the head!
    Hardcore-Ski, I don't know what to tell you regarding whether or not to push the issue, that's a personal decision as far as I can tell. Without being in your shoes I can't tell what I would think other than I'd be pissed if someone hit one of my kids. I would think that it wouldn't matter what you think at this point, doesn't the school district and legal system take over and determine what happens next?
    -brian
    [ December 13, 2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

HCS
    DogHouse:
    78, I would not draw too many conclusions regarding parenting practices/skills based on the limited information of a single incident. Kids go through lots of phases. 3 yr olds do all kinds of squirrely stuff including hitting, biting, screaming, and all sorts of other ways to throw a fit when they don't get what they want. It takes time for a parent to help the child learn the right behavior, certainly doesn't happen overnight. I'm not surprised at all that a 3 yr old hit a teacher and I also wouldn't immediately assume that the teacher was doing anything wrong up to that point to provoke the child. What happened next was wrong of course when the teacher lost control and hit the child in the head!
    Hardcore-Ski, I don't know what to tell you regarding whether or not to push the issue, that's a personal decision as far as I can tell. Without being in your shoes I can't tell what I would think other than I'd be pissed if someone hit one of my kids. I would think that it wouldn't matter what you think at this point, doesn't the school district and legal system take over and determine what happens next?
    -brianI couldn't have said it better my kid use to bit, he still does kick and hit.But I handle it. I discipline him the way he should be I kick his little butt. But I don't hit him in the head and I don't think any teacher should either.

Her454
    not speaking for 78, but i dont think he was drawing any conclusions regarding parenting/skills but simply stating an opinion that i wholeheartedly agree with. i think the point here is in the resolution as far as the teacher not being allowed the opportunity to hit another child, WRONG, period. And the child learning the consequence of his actions. Seems it is taken care of.

Havasu Hangin'
    The board is probably involved to avert a lawsuit...

78Eliminator
    DogHouse, you're completely right. The boy is only 3 and he is "experimenting"; testing boundaries and deciding how to express himself and communicate. Still, lots of learning to do. Not even sure how you explain to him what he did was wrong, or if he will even remember the incident an hour passes. Man, things are so hard these days. Seems like parents and teachers are loosing authority because of a few bad apples and the imperfections of our justice system.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast