Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnarley Porshce Accident

carbonmarine
    ** Driver dies after losing control of Porsche .....
    Officials are investigating whether street racing was involved. Witnesses told the CHP that the driver appeared to be trying to catch a car that had passed him.
    By JOHN McDONALD
    The Orange County Register
    COSTA MESA — The driver of a new Porsche died late Tuesday when he lost control of the sports car while apparently trying to catch a car that had passed him on the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported today. The Porsche, so new it didn’t have license plates, went down an embankment onto the San Diego (I-405) Freeway and zipped across all the southbound lanes into the center divider, investigators said. The driver was ejected and killed, even though he was wearing a seatbelt. The victim hasn't been identified yet. Investigators are trying to determine if a race was in progress when the crash occurred and whether the driver knew the driver of a black car the Porche was chasing, CHP Officer Denise Quesada said.
    The incident began at about 10 p.m. on the northbound lanes of the 55 when the new Porsche was passed at more than 100 mph by a small black car, witnesses told the CHP. The Porsche's driver then appeared to try to catch the car that passed him and lost control when traffic slowed near the 405 interchange, they told the CHP. It's unknown how fast the Porsche was traveling. Quesada said it slammed into a guardrail, ripping it from its posts, rolled down an embankment, then went airborne onto the southbound 405. The Porsche crossed the southbound 405, possibly hitting a 1993 Toyota Corolla driven by an Anaheim woman. She told officers she felt an impact and lost control of her car. She received minor injuries.
    The Porsche then hit the 405Â’s center divider, and the driver flew out of his seatbelt onto the northbound 405, where he was hit by several cars, Quesada said. He was decapitated and died at the scene.

Boozer
    Sounds like one hell of a way to brake in the new ride.
    I feel bad for the people that ran him over. Due to something that was completely out of their control they are now going to have to deal with those images that will haunt them for years to come if not the rest of their lives. I have seen somthing similair but we didn't run the person over just his severed arm and then got to see his body all mangled on the side of the 60 freeway. He wasn't racing though, just WAAAAAYYYYY to drunk.

Hallett19
    Guess I should sell that new 911 Turbo I just bought ....

Boozer
    Hallett19:
    Guess I should sell that new 911 Turbo I just bought .... Overcompsenating for something? wink

BADBLOWN572
    The funny thing is that the interchange that this accident happened is not that bad. A Porsche should be able to sick that interchange well over 100 mph. I have taken it before at high speeds and it is not that bad. I am wondering if the guy was ducking in and out of traffic.

NoCal NoBoat
    Not the first time I've heard of this happening.
    Several years ago, I was first to the scene of a fatal accident on Geary Blvd. Guy spun his new-to-him 911 Turbo into a tree.
    Others here will know better than I, but I've heard that some Porsches have handling characteristics that require some getting used to.
    Performance driving school was suggested.

burbanite
    I read the topic and thought "Oh F**k, not another forum member in trouble.....so much bad stuff happening lately, I think I need a vacation.... frown

clownpuncher
    Holy crap. Anyone wanna buy my 86 Carrera? My wife hates it anyway.

Hallett19
    Its called "lift throttle oversteer". This problem has been corrected in the new ones thanks to the new suspension setup, but anything older than 1997 (I think) suffered from this problem heavily. If you come into a turn fast, then add throttle, you are usually ok, now if you come in fast giving throttle, then get off the throttle mid turn, those things would come around like a merry-go-round, every time. I've seen alot of guys wreck their 911s like that. My dad has always had a 911 in the family up until recently. All the way back from a 79 930 turbo to an 89 carrera a few years ago. Now his toy is a MB 190E 2.3-16 Valve
    [ July 24, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Hallett19
    did anybody actually see it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast