Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Alternator removal?

Tom Brown
    OK, this is the lamest question I've ever asked but does anyone know the trick to removing an alternator from the accessory mount on a 1998 GM 5.7l vortec? It has some roll pin type mountings on the front that don't seem to come out and I'm hessitant to break out the big hammer.
    -- Tom

Tom Brown
    I'm sorry for asking this question in this forum. The truck is a low mile 98 Silverado and it sounds like a lot of people here have had GM truck alternators go bad really early in the vehicle's life, just as this one has. I thought someone would share the trick to getting the blasted thing out.

TIMEBOMB
    Tom
    I changed the alt on my 99 Tahoe 5.7l and don't remember a roll pin type mount. 2 bolts and then it came right off. Stupid question, but you did relieve the tension from the serpentine belt?? All you need is a 3/8 breaker bar, just put bar in the idler pulley and relieve the tension, should come right off. Good luck, Gary.

Tom Brown
    Thanks, Garry. The belt is off the pully and the bolts are out. It looks like it can't go anywhere but I'll go at it with some less gentle leavering.
    ... soon to be ... ...

TIMEBOMB
    Now I remember, must be that mothers day margaritas, yep my came off with a little help from a trusty prybar. Straight up, the mount is a little deceiving but the alt comes straight up. Did not realize it until I saw the new one. Gary

DickDanger
    Holy Shit!!! I just noticed that Tom lives in Canada???? And I thought that you were SoCal trash like the rest of us!!!! LMAO...-DD Out

Boatcop
    I've got a '96 GMC P/U w/ the 5.7. My alternator went T/U last year.
    I replaced it myself, and seem to remember the pin you're talking about. If my memory serves me, it's just a spacer. Make sure all bolts are out, and if you gently pry the alt forward, it should release the spacer and the alternator will come free.

Tom Brown
    You gents kick ass! Thank you very much (except you, DD )
    The alternator is off. I had to pry the shit out of it. When it finally released, there was a spark and a little smoke.
    I run a Mercury outboard so there is no need for me to be mechanically inclined. I just need to know how to add fuel and oil.
    DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man?
    [ May 11, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

GlastronGuy
    Tom Brown:
    I run a Mercury outboard so there is no need for me to be mechanically inclined. I just need to know how to add fuel and oil.
    DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man? Outboard? You should be mixing up some margaritas for TIMEBOMB. Heck, I'll have one while your at it.

GlastronGuy:
    Tom Brown:
    DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man? Outboard? You should be mixing up some margaritas for TIMEBOMB. Heck, I'll have one while your at it. I thought outboards were for mixing margaritas
    [ May 12, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast