Thread: Lakes have "Lake Lice" - the dunes have "Sand Lice"

MagicMtnDan
    Went to Pismo Beach this weekend (it's been a while) and had a great time. Didn't take me long to realize that there's a sand lice problem - a really bad problem.
    Putting a teenager (most any age) on a high powered four wheeled motorcyle out in the open sand dunes is a recipe for disaster unless they're supervised by a parent (which obviously isn't happening enough).
    Packs of sand lice running in every direction, doing everything and anything they want to do with no regard for anyone else. They clearly don't care about their own safety so everyone else must steer clear of them.
    A 9-year old was killed on Saturday when a teenager showing off for his friends (after drinking of course) jumped his quad and smashed into the 9-year old as he/she was walking back from the portapotty near camp. Crushed skull, helicopter ride to the hospital. DOA.
    Children should not be allowed to ride these things unsupervised. I saw a father unload three quads for his three young sons, helped them drive off while he plopped his ass in a chair and drank beer. Meanwhile his very young sons are riding all over the camping area scaring people are walking and just hanging out.
    I'm afraid this $hit won't stop until the tree huggers get their way and close down all the dunes and all the lakes. We'll all pay for the parents whose only qualification for having and raising kids was to have unprotected sex.

Jungle Boy
    They are killing themselves nearly weekly in the west country in Alberta. Few wear proper gear and they drive like the "Wild Man from Borneo". Not much for medical aid out there and few places for a chopper to land.
    [ July 29, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

Essex502
    Just ignorant, selfish parents using a machine to babysit their children. No different than using the TV, video games or dumping the little rug rats at the mall. Spoiled little $hits are all over the place and the parents are in denial on the problems their little "wonders" are creating for those around them. Some people should not be parents.

Ziggy
    MMD,
    It ain't that bad there during the winter. But I agree, these kids need to be supervised. Mine don't(didn't) go anywhere without me(no babysitter here, I wanna go too!). Only time I did that my son(16 then and riding 9 yrs) came back with a broken arm due to someone else's stupidity. Guy in a buggie mis-shifted going uphill so turns around right in front of my kid coming down the hill. He bolted the scene(probably drunk) and left my kid there. Luckily it was in a area where people were at, some tried to chase down the guy to no avail. Other good peeps brought my son back in their jeep and had someone ride his tweaked quad back.
    I have been through the ATV driver training program even though I'd been riding for more than 25 yrs(instructor even asked why I was there), "you always learn something" I said. I recommend it to all, especially those with kids, you can never teach them enough about it.
    [ July 29, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

eliminatedsprinter
    MagicMtnDan
    [Q
    A 9-year old was killed on Saturday when a teenager showing off for his friends (after drinking of course) jumped his quad and smashed into the 9-year old as he/she was walking back from the portapotty near camp. Crushed skull, helicopter ride to the hospital. DOA.
    [/QB]Wow, my son just turned 10. This strikes a little too close to home. I don't want to even imagine the nightmare of losing a child like this.