Thread: Alternate route

glamis
    Has anyone gone a different way to needles other than 15 to 40?and how much longer is it ,time and miles?

Danhercules
    Funny you ask. I got a buddy that goes to Havasu every other weekend. (He has no boat!) Hes daughter lives there. When he go's in from the north he goes through Needles. He told me he talks the 10e and through 29 palms, Amboy and comes in the 40 at Goffs. I forget how long it taks him. I will ask.

glamis
    Thats the way im looking at just wondering what the drive is like ?no traffic im sure

Ziggy
    Probably not the best condition roads either---smaller 2 laners

Waldo
    If there is traffic on the 15 or 40 (usually someplaces on the weekends), 29 palms is quicker. If no traffic, 29 palms is about 20 minutes slower.

bear down
    glamis:
    Thats the way im looking at just wondering what the drive is like ?no traffic im sure Actually the roads are good but a very lonely road with no call boxes and no help if something does go wrong. But I did take that drive at night coming back from a long day at Havasu. Basically you from the 10 to hwy 62 towards 29 palms and once in 29 palms you'll make a left on Utah Trail (Mcdonalds on the left side as you approach this street) then you'll make a rt. on Amboy about 3 miles down and take it till you hit national trails hwy and make a right and it'll turn in to Geoffs street or you can get Essex st. from there as well. Just careful you don't miss the streets.

THATJEFFGUY
    Thats the only way I take to the River now. It's only 2 lanes...but no traffic at all and the road is pretty good, the only bad parts (in my truck anyway) is just before you get to Amboy, maybe 6 miles of bumpy road. I take the 10 east to the 62 through 29 Palms..plenty of places to stop and grub..then out to Amboy..but I don't get off at Essex or Goffs Road. I keep going on Nat'l Trails Hwy until it hits the 40 at Mtn Springs Rd...then get on the 40 to Needles. From my house in Yucaipa to Needles, it's 178 miles..and I can make it in a little over 2 hours..rolling about 80. There is a few CHP's thru Yucca Valley/29 Palms..but when you get on Amboy Rd., you can open it up ! So far I have had really good luck on that route...someone has even started a new "Show Tree" just outside of Amboy..so I guess that route isn't a secret anymore !

THATJEFFGUY
    That was supposed to be SHOE TREE !! Sorry..damn keyboard !!