Thread: First oil change

Ross
    This is my 9th new boat, but my first 4 stroke motor, MERC 350 MPI (315hp). The dealer wants $300 to change the oil and do a 10 minute visual for the 20 hr service.
    The oil pan drain has an attached hose that can be routed through the hull via a hull drain to drain/change the oil.
    I don't mind paying for something if I feel it's worth it,, but 3 bones to change the oil and honk the horn is a ripoff.
    Should I do this 20 hour service my self?
    Anyone get warranty hassles later on???
    I'm a pretty good mechanic.
    Thanks,
    Ross
    "You Ain't Drunk if You Can Lay On The Floor Without Holdin On"
    [ May 12, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Eric455
    3 bones?? are they like ****ed in the head or somtin? call me i'll come over and do an oil change for you. just a pack of beer will do not no damb 3 bones.
    818-402-3004 eric

Dragboat Dad
    Ross, I have had a Mastercraft direct drive for 12 years now. I have always done all my own maintenance. I change my oil about every 50 hours using the hose you spoke of right thru the drain plug hole. Every other season I change the trans fluid by pumping it out the fill hole. The other thing that needs to be checked is the engine/prop shaft alignment. If I don't hit anything with the prop, I check it when I change the oil. On my boat it never moves, I don't know about other brands of inboards. It's not hard to check, you just unbolt the coupler and measure the gap between the coupler at the top, bottom and sides. Hopefully it's very close, you can get a feel for it and almost eye ball it. Let me know if you need more help with this, once you do it, it's easy. I've put 1100 trouble free hours on this boat. Tom

Dragboat Dad
    I just noticed you live in Simi, I'll help you with shaft alignment if need be.

Ross
    Thanks Tom,
    Reading the dealer rap sheet, prop alignment check isn't even included in the $300, 20 hr service.
    I hate to put anyone out, but if you could one day swing by or I could stop by and you show me some tips I'll owe you a big major league favor.
    I appreciate the advise and I'll use it.
    - Thanks, Ross
    [ May 10, 2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Dragboat Dad
    I'd be happy to come by your place, this weekend and next weekend no good. I'll be available the following one. Tom

Eric455
    818-402-3004 cell let me know when you want us to shoot over.
    eric