Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.3L Tahoe upgrades??

B-rad502
    I know some of this has been brought up before, but, have any of you put on any aftermarket stuff on your 5.3?? Just got our new Tahoe and was wondering what I can expect out of an air intake upgrade, exhaust, etc. Thanks in advance!

1quickjet
    B-rad 502, I installed a Volant cold air intake first, and noticed not much power increase, but much better throttle response and a decent increase in mpg. Second I installed a Gibson swept side (single outlet) and noticed much more torque when towing (never noticed anything untill I towed Chiriaco Summit grade). Towed considerably better, a little more mpg and even better throttle response. Third I installed Hypertech's power programmer (out of nessecity, I run 35" tires and wanted speedometer correction) and I didn't notice a whole lot other than a little more power throughout the rpm band. Feels like it is stronger through the mid too. None of these yielded incredible results each, however the combination is pretty impressive. When I drove a stock one after mine, it felt like a pig. Feel free to e-mail me for anymore details. Good luck. 1QJ

SuperWrench0166
    I have installed the Airraid cold air filter kit.
    the throttle body spacer. Granatelli mass airflow sensor after cat exhaust and played with teh hypertech programmer. Talk about a diff wow

searssears1
    B-Rad502, call my brother up.He is the owner of Sport trucks by Dean.His wife has a bad ass Tahoe with a super charger and a bunch other trick shit. His # is 1-805-529-3844,If you want it to go fast he will hook you up in the right direction.

DogHouse
    I hear the 8.1 makes a nice upgrade!!!
    -brian
    ps: Just messin' with ya Brad! I've been thinking about some of those upgrades myself. I suspect the 8.1 has a lot more in it just waiting to come out and play. Another mpg or two would be a welcome addition!

B-rad502
    What's cool about this vehicle, is we don't have to tow with it! Still have the Dodge V10 for that. So, we can just toy around with our "Family Truckster!"
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

core attitude
    I have a sub with the same motor. Supercharge that thing you wont regret it, that will also get you the programer and intake. Add to that a good single out exhaust and full headers and you'll be set. If you do that you might also want to get an escalade gauge cluster for the 120mph speedo and tranny temp among other things, it slips right in.
    The super charger without a doubt made the biggest differance and it really needs the other mods listed to work to its full potential. Other mods really haven't made that much of a differance. I've been the other side of 120 (on gps) with that set up and I'm four wheel drive.
    I have a good forum link for Chevy truck/sub performance I'll post when I get home, lots of good feed back.
    Pete

core attitude
    Found the link http://www.pacific-audio.com/perform...iscussion.html If you need I can point you to a few of the people who helped with my truck. The motor has been finished for 40k miles and I've never had a single problem.
    Pete

BowTie Rick
    A K&N intake (get the original not a knock off) and a cat-back exhaust will give you up to 18 - 20 more ponies. http://www.knfilters.com/images/FIPK/57-3023.jpg

B-rad502
    Thanks guys!
    The supercharger thing can't happen because we have an extended warranty that's pretty important to us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast