Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of London Bridge?

HighRoller
    I heard on the local radio station today that the English village under the London Bridge is for sale.Okay,so that wasn't so bad until I heard that several letters of intent were fielded from"developers"to buy the property.I'm very concerned about what might happen to the village in the hands of a developer from who-knows-where. I have always loved London Bridge and am afraid it might be turned into a modern strip mall by people who have no appreciation of the history of this beautiful landmark.Could this be the end of Havasu's heritage as we know it?Many of you never got to experience Havasu in the pre MTV days when it was a largely unknown but much appreciated vacation spot for dedicated boaters like my family.Havasu has changed but one of the things that has always drawn me there was London Bridge and the English Village underneath.If they revamp the village could a redesign of the bridge be far behind???I just wanted to inform all of you what is going on.

Bunk Deal frown

JetBoatRich
    Sounds like some one may have ideas and you may be right.

Jordy
    There's a village under it? I always just drove across it to get to Beachcomber and Site 6... guess my tourist instinct subsides when I have a boat in the rearview mirror of my truck.
    That is sad to hear though. Havasu need's more condos, uh huh.

Metal_King
    Yeah, this does not sound good. My father bought land in Havasu in '86 and put his home up on '91.
    But, the traffic and the MTV crowd has become so populated, a dedicated skier like myself just does not go to Havasu anymore. I have found the area north of Cottonwood Cove on Mohave or some prime spots on Mead to accompany my needs.
    Sure, if I want T&A, the Havasu it is.

Metal_King
    Yeah, this does not sound good. My father bought land in Havasu in '86 and put his home up on '91.
    But, the traffic and the MTV crowd has become so populated, a dedicated skier like myself just does not go to Havasu anymore. I have found the area north of Cottonwood Cove on Mohave or some prime spots on Mead to accompany my needs.
    Sure, if I want T&A, then Havasu it is.
    [ February 28, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Metal_King ]

1stepcloser
    That blows.
    I am a pre-MTV era havasu regular as well, and even now, my daughter and I still cruise up to the bridge, hang out in the channel, and always take a walk through the village, (she loves to window shop) and grab an ice cream. Used to get a sandwich at the ***boat Deli, was sad to see it gone last year. Now we gotta hike to In-n-Out
    I was also a bit saddened by the new development of condos put up on the local side...progress...
    Well, I would think that whoever buys the property would be under major influence of Lake Havasu city planners and the like.
    It's not very likely that the city would grant any type of permits to remove, or even re-design the village as it has been and continues to be a major draw to the area.

mbrown2
    1stepcloser:
    That blows.
    I am a pre-MTV era havasu regular as well, and even now, my daughter and I still cruise up to the bridge, hang out in the channel, and always take a walk through the village, (she loves to window shop) and grab an ice cream. Used to get a sandwich at the ***boat Deli, was sad to see it gone last year. Now we gotta hike to In-n-Out
    I was also a bit saddened by the new development of condos put up on the local side...progress...
    Well, I would think that whoever buys the property would be under major influence of Lake Havasu city planners and the like.
    It's not very likely that the city would grant any type of permits to remove, or even re-design the village as it has been and continues to be a major draw to the area. I would agree, I am thinking they would have too keep the same look and feel if they do any additions or modifications...

Havasu_Dreamin
    The city is considering buying the village. There are still some nice spots at Havasu that you can get away from all the crowds.

Her454
    I can remember going to the Bridge while the village was still "under construction" way back in the day as a kid...then when I lived there in the 90's I still loved the originality of the village and I hope they keep it......
    BTW, anyone remember the drunk guy going OFF the bridge in his vehicle at night and landing in the channel, headlights still on??? That was incredible..I'll try and dig up the old pics and the story...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast