Thread: The cost of freedom....?

Jbb
    If you were a business, would you deny the women to bring in their purses?? Well one business did. I swear this was in my local paper:
    {the actual link is at:
    http://www.naplesnews.com/03/03/naples/d926704a.htm}
    Brush with homeland security policy angers some theater patrons
    Friday, March 28, 2003
    By BRIGID O'MALLEY, bmomalley@naplesnews.com
    Janet Hendricks was just trying to see "Chicago," a stop at the movies after lunch in East Naples on Thursday afternoon.
    But before she could purchase a ticket at the box office at the Towne Centre 6, she was hit with a bit of homeland security.
    An employee stopped her and said she couldn't buy a ticket unless she placed her purse in her car, a new policy at the theater designed for security reasons.
    "I told him that if he wanted to search my purse, that would be fine," the 38-year-old East Naples woman said. "But I wasn't going to put my purse in my car...I understand about security and that measures have to be taken. But this is a theater in East Naples."
    Hendricks and her boyfriend, James Blair, 45, of North Naples, were given written citations, telling them they are banned for a year from the Towne Centre 6 theater on U.S. 41 East by management. The ticket indicates that they caused a disturbance.
    A sign at the theater tells movie-goers about the homeland security policy prohibiting purses, bags and other carry-along bags from the theater. Employees were telling patrons to take their purses to their cars.
    "Some older people were walking right back to their cars with their purses," Hendricks said.
    She said she didn't think it was a good idea because thieves could be watching them carry their belongings back to their cars and then go inside to the movies.
    Management called deputies when she started telling some of the other patrons that they didn't have to put their purses in their cars. She said the deputies were polite and just doing their jobs, although she said the officers told her that it was their first brush with domestic security at a business.
    She said she could have taken the cash she had inside her purse out, grabbed her wallet and gone to the movies. Or she could have loaded up her pants pockets with her belongings.
    "And I guess I wouldn't have looked suspicious with everything in my pockets," Hendricks said. "It's my constitutional right."
    Sheriff's spokeswoman Tina Osceola said causing a disturbance is enough to get the citation.
    "Arguing is enough to get you trespassed," she said.
    Sheriff's officials say they haven't heard of other businesses banning purses from being brought inside for security reasons.
    "It's up to each business to implement their own measures," Osceola said. "There are going to be inconveniences."
    Deputies are concerned that leaving valuables inside their cars can be dangerous and are urging patrons to leave their belongings at home or secure them in their vehicles.
    Hendricks believes she was being asked to give up her rights to go to a movie.
    "We're at war and I understand we should be more careful," she said. "But that's why we're at war, to give them freedom."

TahitiSteve
    Blows my mind how many people think they have the right to do whatever they want on other peoples property. They can pass whatever rule they want, whoever doesn't like it can go somewhere else--noones rights are violated.
    That said they probably could have handled it better and agreed to just search her purse. But I like that they banned her just due to her ignorance.

RaysonKid
    People need to realize that our little world was changed forever on 09/11.
    frown