Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy a new boat which one to buy?

RiskyinElsinore
    Hey guys looking at the new boats is like being in a candy store. I am looking for a boat 23' to 25'open Bow which one is the best buy for the money After Shock,Commander,Renegade, need some help guys.And how about the new 496 Bravo is it the right engine too push the boat to the 65 to 70 mile range?
    [ September 20, 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: RiskyinElsinore ]

Steamin' Rice
    There are lots of great boats out there and there have been many discussions on this topic. I suggest you search the archives for some info and go from there. What is important to you for your boat and what are you wlling to give up in order to get a lower priced boat?
    Also, since most people are biased and will tell you that the boat they have is the best built, I suggest asking more direct questions about specific boats.

kcm21
    i own a commander but like the lavey's alot
    -kev-
    good luck

SPECTRABRENT
    I would go and talk to Mike @ Howard, he has a Howard 25 in the works. Looks like at nice boat.
    Brent

rivercrazy
    I have heard the 496mag ho pushes the Shockwave 25 Tremor to 70 or slightly above. Go drive whatever you are interested in would be my suggestion and look hard at how the boat is produced.

river-rat
    I've been looking in your size range now for a couple of months. Here is what I think... (only my opinion)
    1. Commander, Aftershock, Cobra, etc. not worth the possible rigging problems you will encounter in the future. Plus, resale value on those boats will be less.
    2. Lavey, Howard, Shockwave are my favorite 24-25' out there right now styling wise. The openings on the cuddy in the Lavey and Howard are a little small for me. I really like the roominess in the 25 Shockwave.
    3. Ultra has a 23 and 24' that looks nice. not as big as Lavey's 24 though. When I was down there last month, they didn't have either of the 2 boats there for me to look at. I would like to look closer at the 247xs the next time I am down there.
    4. Reading numerous tests and using some common sense, I think the Shockwave w/496 MAG (375) will run around 66 mph. I suspect the HO will run 2 to 3 mph faster. The Lavey 24 is a smaller and lighter boat. The steps on the hull are more aggressive. I would guess that the Lavey 24 w/ the 496 MAG (375) will run around 67 to 68 mph. With the HO in it, 70+.
    I'm getting the Shockwave for 2 reasons. Large openings through the cuddy and interior roominess. Not to mention they make a great boat!
    Good luck.

RiskyinElsinore
    What about the Renegade boats.How about the 24' open bow is the rigging any good ?

superdave013
    river-rat:
    I've been looking in your size range now for a couple of months. Here is what I think... (only my opinion)
    1. Commander, Aftershock, Cobra, etc. not worth the possible rigging problems you will encounter in the future. Plus, resale value on those boats will be less.
    2. Lavey, Howard, Shockwave are my favorite 24-25' out there right now styling wise. The openings on the cuddy in the Lavey and Howard are a little small for me. I really like the roominess in the 25 Shockwave.
    3. Ultra has a 23 and 24' that looks nice. not as big as Lavey's 24 though. When I was down there last month, they didn't have either of the 2 boats there for me to look at. I would like to look closer at the 247xs the next time I am down there.
    4. Reading numerous tests and using some common sense, I think the Shockwave w/496 MAG (375) will run around 66 mph. I suspect the HO will run 2 to 3 mph faster. The Lavey 24 is a smaller and lighter boat. The steps on the hull are more aggressive. I would guess that the Lavey 24 w/ the 496 MAG (375) will run around 67 to 68 mph. With the HO in it, 70+.
    I'm getting the Shockwave for 2 reasons. Large openings through the cuddy and interior roominess. Not to mention they make a great boat!
    Good luck.Good reply RR. I'm tossing ya 5 stars for that one!
    What do you guys think about the cuddy? Seems like a hassle to crawl through there to get to the open bow part. I think a walk through would be better for us big guys. But then again you loose the cuddy stabbing cabin. Trade offs, trade offs.
    Anyway, don't steer this guy worng as I plan on riding in his boat until mine's done. I might be riding in his for awhile

Hermosa
    You might want to look at the Kachina 23' Bandit or 26' Force. I was really impressed when I rode in them a few weeks back, thought the cheaper boats like Kachina would show their price, but for the money I think they are OK. I have friends that have both the 23' and the 26'. if you want to go crazy money, I would wait for the new 25' Howard Bullet, that looks like a nice boat.

river-rat
    superdave013:
    river-rat:
    Good luck.Good reply RR. I'm tossing ya 5 stars for that one!
    What do you guys think about the cuddy? Seems like a hassle to crawl through there to get to the open bow part. I think a walk through would be better for us big guys. But then again you loose the cuddy stabbing cabin. Trade offs, trade offs.
    Anyway, don't steer this guy worng as I plan on riding in his boat until mine's done. I might be riding in his for awhile SuperDave013,
    Thanks for the stars! For a walk through, you have to look at the Lavey 24. BIG for a 24'.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast