Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many?

Riptide01
    Why do so many people bitch about the laws trying to be imposed on performance boating?
    But so few are stepping up to do anything to prevent them.

spectratoad
    I was wondering that myself. I posted a note here about the National Park Service looking for public input, yeah right, on the plan to restrict the number of boats on Mead & Mojave and outright banning them in certain spots. There have been zero responses. Oh well, I will try to do my part. It is in the JUST JETS area.
    [ July 26, 2002, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Riptide01
    They are trying to do that up here also.
    They also are trying to limit the size of boats on certain lakes.
    Even one lake that they are trying to band ANY boat with above water exhaust. Which would include v-drives, Jets and most sterndrives.
    There is even a guy that lives on a island at the lake that has a amphicar. That would also be illegal.

Boatcop
    The best way to stop laws that are arbitrary is to show that there isn't a need for them. Some legislative bodies just pass laws for the sake of passing laws.
    News laws should reflect an actual need, and should be carefully considered before being brought forward. Examples:
    Accident statistics over the years found the following:
    1. In the early days of boating many people were falling overboard and drowning. Solution - PFD laws. The drowning rate dropped.
    2. Boats were also blowing up, catching fire and people got burned and killed. Solution - Backfire flame arrestors, ventilation, fire extinguishers, etc. Fewer boats burning, less people killed.
    3. Drunk and reckless boaters running over people. Laws were passed creating severe penalties for drunk and reckless boaters.
    4. PWCs jumping wakes, spraying other boats and people, causing damage, injuries and fatalities. Laws passed to prevent such actions.
    If there is no positive influence from a proposed law, there should be no need for it. It's up to us to let the lawmakers know that the law isn't necessary.
    As far as Mead, Mohave and Powell are concerned, how many out there have actually read the proposals? Or are you just hearing snips and soundbyies?
    The leading proposal would close off less than 2% of the lake area to boating. There are plans to actually increase ammenities and access to other portions of the lakes, and to increase the amount of boats that can be managed within the parks. The purpose of the plans are to satisfy the environmental crowd AND the recreational boating public, by striking a balance between the need to protect the resources entrusted to us, and allow maximum use by the boating and non-boating public.
    Here is the transcript of the proposals being considered for Lake Mead Recreational area. Before spreading bad information and whining about them taking away your right to boat freely. Read it, and find out what is actually being proposed. I think you'll find that the restrictions being considered aren't going to impact your boating experience all that much, if at all.
    Lake Mead Management Draft
    [ July 27, 2002, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

twistedpair
    You want to get really pissed off? Check this site out. http://www.bluewaternetwork.org/bwnhome.html
    These are the pencildicks responsible for, and very proud of this kind of B.S.

sandblasted
    Riptide01:
    Why do so many people bitch about the laws trying to be imposed on performance boating?
    But so few are stepping up to do anything to prevent them.Riptide...I rode dirtbikes for years and gave money freely to organizations that tried to protect my right to ride offroad....I supported DirtBike magazine (GO SuperHunky)when they took on the wacky environmentalists and tried to save the Barstow to Vegas ride....of course we lost, why?
    Because the wacky enviro movement is supported by people with very large bank accounts....Every time I see a Ted Danson or a Woody Harrelson on tv I want to puke. These people would never be caught dead on a dirt bike and you can bet they would never take the time to go for a ride in a Hot Boat...Simply put, they have an agenda that is counterproductive to everything we enjoy....
    We have to face some facts, if you enjoy any type of hobby that has the word "horsepower" in it you are facing an uphill battle against the pandering politicians and an un-informed public that could care less....
    My suggestion, support any and every organization that opposes these liberal assholes...whether it's a dirtbike org, a mountain bike org or a ***boat organization...

Charley
    twistedpair:
    You want to get really pissed off? Check this site out. http://www.bluewaternetwork.org/bwnhome.html
    These are the pencildicks responsible for, and very proud of this kind of B.S.I'm NOT on thier side, I'm a boater.... but i was AMAZED by this statistic found on that website:
    The California Air Resources Board found that a seven-hour ride on a personal watercraft (PWC) powered by a conventional two-stroke engine produces the same amount of smog-forming emissions as over 100,000 miles driven in a modern passenger car. (4.)
    you have to admit thats amazing

BlownCole
    twistedpair:
    These are the pencildicks responsible for, and very proud of this kind of B.S.Grrr

Boatcop
    I don't agree with what the Blue Water Network and other environmentalist whacko organizations are all about, but they do have SOME good points.
    For example, a carburated 2 stroke, outboard or PWC, only burns about 75% of the fuel/oil mixture, putting 25% of it back into the water. Think about this: For a OB with a 40 gallon tank, it's the same as if you took a 10 gallon jug of fuel mix and poured it straight into the River.
    Now multiply that by the number of outboards and PWCs on the Lake.
    That's the reason the Jet Ski World Championships were stopped on Mission Bay, and are being opposed on Havasu.

spectratoad
    Thanks Boatcop for finding that. I was reading it and it says there are only 4 million people that the organization represents. Hard to understand how so few people can steer the direction of a country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast