Thread: Motor Mess

Powerquestboy
    So I have a friend who drives a 98 Moomba Ski boat. The boat has a Vortec 350 in it. He blew the impeller and for some unknown reason decided the best way to fix it would be to rev the motor up and drive as fast as possible. Now as you would expect he has a cracked head and block. Anybody know of a cheap longblock out there for sale. He would buy a whole motor if the price was right. He wants to put the exact same engine back in it. Another problem is he has a bunch of rednecks working on it. I need to know if there is any difference between the marine and street version of this motor he should know about. They think it is exactly the same and are going to buy a block for a car, IÂ’m no mechanic so I want to know the differences between the street and marine application if any. Thanks for the help.

HighRoller
    1-800-runsnew.com has some good deals on GM marine crate engines.Personally I think he should fix the problem by getting a real boat eek! idea

gnarley
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HighRoller:
    Personally I think he should fix the problem by getting a real boat eek! idea
    I don't think he's ready for a real boat yet if thatÂ’s how he operates his current ride.

bordsmnj
    yuhknow,iasked that same question just over a year ago-right after i bought my first boat for 1300 dollars. i put 7000 into making that boat go 55 mph. i gave it away the other day as is with no motor. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. eek! luckily i pick up the "real" boat this friday.wish me luck
    [ April 07, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

Powerquestboy
    Thanks Highroller I'll check that site out. The only reason I'm helping him try to get this thing done as cheap as possible is so he can get rid of it and into something a little more manly. The boat actually hauls a$$ and is fun to drive out of the hole. It's so small and light it's like driving a little race car until you hit about 35 then its slow as hell, but its a tournament boat so it corners like crazy. I think he now understands what to do when that temp needle starts moving up, unfortunately it is going to be an expensive lesson.