Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why kids don't belong on PWC's

SternDrive
    Jet Ski accident injures 15-year-old
    08/04/2003
    A 15-year-old girl is in the hospital after a Jet Ski accident at Lake Pleasant early Monday afternoon.
    According to Maricopa County sheriff's deputies, the teen was with a group of friends who rented Jet Skis for the day. The girl was out on the water just north of the marina when things went terribly wrong.
    Deputies said the girl made an abrupt maneuver, a radical move then sent her flying into the water.
    A 16-year-old boy on another Jet Ski was right behind her. The boy told investigators there was no way for him to avoid hitting the girl.
    Deputies said a passing boater got the injured girl on board and took her to the marina.
    A couple watching from the shore said at first, they didn't realize anything wrong because the group appeared fairly calm.
    Paramedics treated the girl at the scene. She was then airlifted to St. Joseph's hospital, and was reportedly in and out of consciousness during the trip.
    While the accident is still under investigation, deputies said they do not believe alcohol or drugs were factors.
    At this point, no citations have been issued.
    It has not been determined yet if speed played a role in the wreck. There is no speed limit on the lake. Jet Skiers are supposed to use their best judgment to maintain a safe speed and distance to avoid colliding with other watercraft on the lake. Also, you only have to be 12 years old to legally operate a Jet Ski.

JetBoatRich
    I have seen plenty of adults riding to close to other jet skis and boats. It is to bad for the girl who who got hit from ignorance. frown

Trailer Park Casanova
    A good guess would be she took a head shot.
    You have to admit,, really,, it's astonishing that there aren't more of these accidents.
    The parents are probably in pretty bad shape now. You can only imagine their pain.
    We won't let out kids on PWC's, and I feel animosity from them everytime they ask.
    I really hope she pulls through.

Mandelon
    Maybe they will sue the jetski rental company and put an end to the practice of putting unskilled "operators" on vehicles capable of killing people......
    How sad.

Boozer
    That's a good idea. Who wants to go rent jet ski's and hit me with one? I'll take a near death head shot for 5 mill.

MagicMtnDan
    Mandelon:
    Maybe they will sue the jetski rental company and put an end to the practice of putting unskilled "operators" on vehicles capable of killing people......
    How sad. You know, you bring up a great point. As much as I detest lawyers and their ambulance-chasing ways and what they do to our insurance rates and how they cause us to have more insurance than we should ($hit, there I go again), maybe lawyers can be our allies when it comes to PWCs.
    It would be great if the lawyers sued all the PWC rental companies every time there's any incident. It would drive their insurance sky high hopefully keeping them from even getting insurance. Then they're out of business for good.
    And then we only have to worry about the zillion other PWC owners and their kids and friends. burningm

Hermosa
    I have seen both adults and kids do stupid things when riding a PWC. If you let your kids rent these things, don't be surprised if they come home in a box. I don't care how "good" anyones kids are on these things, they just don't have the experience or judgement to be on something with that much umlimited power. Their attention is on having fun, and not on anything else. Last Friday I was on Lake Berressa, the freaking lake was empty at 10:00 AM, but yet a stupid ass 10 year old cuts right in front of me and another boat when we were doing about 30 mph cruising to the other end of the lake. Sorry to say, more kids will die on these things... adults too.

Phat_Kat
    this is why we have those 300 FT follow laws in place. My little cousin was coming right up my ass when we were jetskiing and I sure gave him a mouthful of jetski roost(thank god for jet trims). I then barked at him a bit and explained to him a few possible ways he could run up the back of me and seriously hurt if not kill me. After that he kept his distance from everyone.

Phat_Kat
    RiverDave:
    Phat_Kat:
    this is why we have those 300 FT follow laws in place. My little cousin was coming right up my ass when we were jetskiing and I sure gave him a mouthful of jetski roost(thank god for jet trims). I then barked at him a bit and explained to him a few possible ways he could run up the back of me and seriously hurt if not kill me. After that he kept his distance from everyone. I've never seen a jetski with a rooster tail.. ???
    RD on the FX140 when you put the trim all the way up and turn slightly to the left you get a nice 3FT or so tall tail out of the thing.

What's Poppin'
    If I am not mistaken, the law states they should not be on a PWC alone until at least age 16. If parents don't show them how to operate them safely then they are at fault. We have one and all my kids drive it, 9,10,&11. But I ride with them and teach them how to pay attention around them and give the right-away to the bigger craft. Children only learn what they are taught, and if you just hand it over without any instructions then whose the idiot...the kid for being a kid or the parent not knowing that would happen. Water safety should always be foremost no matter what the craft is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast