Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 460 no run

hoolign
    everything was fine and it just quit,plugs and wires are new,new coil,batteries good shape,good fuel,ignition switch has power at all points,got power to the coil..any suggestions?

77charger
    first thing check for fuel and spark.assuming it was runnin and you didnt do anything to it.How is the timing set,firing order correct 15426378?all cylinders have good compression?
    Probably something simple

hoolign
    I figure it is somthing stupid and simple ..but what?all mentioned is good!
    it was running good until this,just like someone turned off a switch
    [ May 12, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: hoolign ]

396_Z
    Do you have spark?
    You said the ignition system has power at all points however that doesn't mean you have spark at the plugs. Personally I know nothing about f*rd distributors but if it was a chevy I'd have no doubt that it was the module in the dizzy from what you described providing that it has power and no spark.

hoolign
    It has power to the coil,which is new,i'll check some more in the morning,preety tired after paddeling for 4 kilometers

Fiat48
    This is a shot in the dark but...check this. The tiny roll pin used on ford distributor gears are known to break and cause the engine to go out of time or quit. You can check this by turning the engine over to TDC #1, then looking at the rotor and be sure it points to #1 on the dist cap. I've seen this happen many times. My dually truck quit like you described and this was it. Used a nail for a roll pin(!) till we got back to town.
    Should you find this has happened, you can drill the shaft and the gear and install a larger roll pin like a Chevy has to stop the problem.
    [ May 12, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]

hoolign
    Fiat..thanx for the reply bro ,i'll check that tommorow!

kp216
    Hoolign - For what it's worth, I installed a new 351HO in my truck a couple of years ago and replaced the distributor drive gear with a new one. While running in the cam, the motor just quit, like it had been switched off. I had new everything, just like on yours. I pulled the distributor and the gear was gone eek! The gear had been improperly packaged!
    Just something to think about, but the possiblity of the roll pin shearing off is good to.

hoolign
    Just put # 1 on TDC, the dist is 180 degrees out,pulled it roll pin,gear are ok,guess I'll pull the timing chain cover and have a peek

Tom Brown
    From your description, it sounds like a spark problem to me. I had a Duraspark module go bad and cause a complete failure of the spark system when it got hot but was usually fine when it was cold. Have you tried another module?
    By the way, I'm surprised to hear others have experienced the roll pin problem too. A buddy of mine had the roll pin sheer off in his 460 and it took months to find a guy who knew anything about it.
    [ May 13, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast