Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tow Covers?

miller19j
    I have heard that towing with a cover can screw up your gell coat. But what about tow covers that are made to be on when towing?
    Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of cover?

78Eliminator
    miller19j:
    I have heard that towing with a cover can screw up your gell coat. But what about tow covers that are made to be on when towing?
    Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of cover? Our family boat had a cover that had rope that secured it for towing. We towed it thousands of miles like that and I never saw any ill effects. In fact, the first time I heard towing with a cover is bad, was in this forum...

HavasuDreamin'
    I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink
    [ May 16, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

78Eliminator
    HavasuDreamin':
    I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink That's the point. The cover will protect it from chips and rocks.

HavasuDreamin'
    78Eliminator:
    HavasuDreamin':
    I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink That's the point. The cover will protect it from chips and rocks. Well, rock chips usually hit the bottom of the boat which isn't covered anyway. Now if you have a lifted 4x4 with no mudflaps, you are screwed all the way around, top and bottom. If you have a normal height, or lowered vehicle, the rocks usually don't hit the top of the boat where most of the gel is.
    I have a 19' Daytona as well that I have been towing around since 1992 and don't have any rock chips above the rub rail. I also don't have any areas where my gel has been scuffed up because I don't tow with a cover.
    Bottom line is if you use your equipment, it is going to get bumps and bruises here and there. You can't get all the rocks off the road. The only thing the owner can do is take care of the equipment as best as possible which in my opinion includes not towing with a cover because it will rub your gel. If you want your boat to be perfect, either leave it in the garage, or keep it in an enclosed trailer.
    [ May 16, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

miller19j
    One of the lakes that I go to has dirt roads to get to the launch ramp and through the campsites. By the time I get to the water my boat is covered in silt and it takes me all weekend to get it clean. So I would like to have a cover to keep the dirt out.

HCS
    I got a tow cover. Never had a problem.

HavasuDreamin'
    miller19j:
    One of the lakes that I go to has dirt roads to get to the launch ramp and through the campsites. By the time I get to the water my boat is covered in silt and it takes me all weekend to get it clean. So I would like to have a cover to keep the dirt out. MY $.02 is to leave the cover on and go slow down the dirt road. If it is in a campsite, you aren't going any more than 10 mph anyway, so it won't rub your gel. Just don't be hummin down the hwy at 75 mph with your cover flappin' in the breeze. wink

XLGPP
    "Well, rock chips usually hit the bottom of the boat which isn't covered anyway. Now if you have a lifted 4x4 with no mudflaps, you are screwed all the way around, top and bottom. If you have a normal height, or lowered vehicle, the rocks usually don't hit the top of the boat where most of the gel is."
    I have a 10" lift on 2500HD with 38" super swampers that throw boulders, but I dont have one chip anywhere in my gel. I tow 10 hours each way at least twice a year, and alot of back and forth here. to my knowledge, I have never seen a cover that DOESNT burn gel while flapping in the wind while towing, except for the snap on canopy covers. maybe there are some out there, I just have never seen or heard of one.

stonehedge
    Had some of the same issues, I was dealing with paint and clear coat, (never again) anyways.......the cover was more destrutive than the road. I finally realized I had to have a custom cover made, specially made to tow and be nice to my baby. Lots of places. And can get real pricy. Found a place and spent I think close to 400ish maybe a tad more. Only use it to tow so its rather clean, and it has soft felt on the inside and the outer material is great. Super tight, "tight like a tiger"......so it doesn't rub. Nice strapes and quick release connections to hold it down(ezy on/ezy off) Plus it keeps monkies eyes off your ride and the chp's from seeing that thing fly down the freeway, my pull over rates dropped to zero the first season I ran that thing? I suggest looking into something in that area, they actually take your boat and make a cover just for your boat and engine combo, any color or style, very nice. FYI

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast