Thread: Cobra Boats gets it done!!!!

River Ric
    After purchasing a new boat from Cobra Performance Boats in Montclair last year, my boat developed a case of the BTP's. Translated - Black Transom Plaque. At first I thought that I was alone. After posting on the boards, I found out that it was a very common problem among all the new 496 Mercruiser Engines. I contacted Cobra and Merc and was told that they were aware of the problem, but did not have a simply fix for the fuel curve on the computer running so rich. Hern at Cobra continued to stay on top of Merc for me and I must report that Merc believe's that they fixed the problem. They have come up with a new program adjustment for the ECM's on the 496's. I got mine done yesterday and will be trying it out this weekend. Thanks to Cobra and Bruce King from Merc for working for 18 months on fixing a dirty problem. For all of you that got blown off by your MFG., contact them and get them to call Merc and get you set back up. I will advise everyone next week as to our level of repair. Two other Cobra owners have already reported a 90% decrease in BTP as well as a noticeable mileage increase. Thanks again to Cobra for helping with a problem that wasn't really their's. Thats what I call customer service.
    " The River is not just a Place, it is a State of Mind."

Hallett19
    Sounds like Cobra is gettin' it together. I think they have a good boat, splash or not. I love their 28 cat.

RiverToysJas
    Thanks for the info!!!
    At roughly 13 hours my 496 is not putting a huge amount soot on the transom, but after a long weekend it's not great either. I do however seem to be burning an excessive amount of fuel. I don't track it and I don't really care, just seem like a lot. I expected something like 4-5 gallons/hour and it seems to be twice that. I run a fast though and I was towing tubes too for while. Plus my 22" prop is probably having an effect on it too, with higher RPMs. I'm going to bigger wheel soon and when I take it in for the next service I'll ask about that reprogram you spoke of.
    RTJas

Havasu Hangin'
    It also depends on the gas. I went to 100 octane- much better.

River Ric
    After talking to Bruce King from Merc., he said that it did not matter what octane. The fuel curve was set way to high. I tried running everything, including 100. I also put a K&N Filter on as well.Nothing seemed to help. I even had them replace the ECM. No difference at all. They knew they had a problem, but weren't sure how to fix it. I really hope this is it.

77charger
    RiverToysJas:
    Thanks for the info!!!
    I expected something like 4-5 gallons/hour and it seems to be twice that. .
    RTJas you'd better look into that 25 hp honda outboard 4 stroke model there But floating and having the engine running might get you that kind of hours per 4-5 gallons

Havasu Hangin'
    River Ric:
    After talking to Bruce King from Merc., he said that it did not matter what octane.I agree...it's probably the additive package. All I know is, 91 octane w/booster was giving me more soot than 100 octane.
    You wanna lean it out? A 150HP shot of nitrous should do it...

77charger
    Havasu Hangin':
    You wanna lean it out? A 150HP shot of nitrous should do it... Good hp til meltdown without the additional fuel

Tom Brown
    You know... I didn't want to say anything because I try to be polite but you 496 guys have been smoking me out. I hope they've found the problem. If not, you guys should switch to nice, clean running 2 stroke outboards.

River Ric
    Sorry Guys. I am tired of the extra cleaning involved every time we took it out of the water. I can't wait until we give it a good run up and down the river. My little brother was giving me grief on Memorial Day as he was following us back on his Wave-runner. If you guys have any questions, just ask. I feel as though I should be working for Merc with all the info that I have picked up in the last 18 months.