Thread: Brake Pads

Boozer
    So the Brake pads in my Durango took a crap on me and I'm metal to metal right now so I am going to do the brakes on Saturday before they destroy the rotors.
    Is there anything in specific I should be looking for in particular? Wear ratings or anything like that?
    I have always had cars and ran racing pads on them but now that I have a truck and Im towing a boat I don't know what I need.
    Prices range on pads from 31.99 to 129.99 They are all semi metallic pads so I dont understand what the big difference in price is.
    What should I look for?

Ziggy
    Boozer, pads will wear at different rates depending on the compounds and/or quality of compounds...more expensive should be of better quality but not necesarily. Ask about warranties, we buy some for our delivery truck that have lifetime wear warranty, we've replaced pads 4 times, three times for free in over 200k miles. Hope that helps a little.

Boozer
    Ziggy:
    Boozer, pads will wear at different rates depending on the compounds and/or quality of compounds...more expensive should be of better quality but not necesarily. Ask about warranties, we buy some for our delivery truck that have lifetime wear warranty, we've replaced pads 4 times, three times for free in over 200k miles. Hope that helps a little. So "technically" I could buy the $34.99 pads that'll stop me just like anything else but wear down a lot quicker and continue to have them replaced free of charge since they come with a lifetime warranty. Sounds like thats what I'll be doing. To bad you can't get the same deal on Rotors.

STV_Keith
    Go to Autozone (or similar) and get the Performance Friction "Z" series pads. Made a big difference in pedal feel and initial bite on my Durango. They are lifetime guaranteed too.
    [ June 19, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

SchellSchock
    Keep in mind that the higher cost, better, "will last a lifetime", etc are usually harder which means they wear the rotors more.