Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Service Engine Soon" light - '95 1500

mirvin
    The light keeps coming on. It turns off after a couple miles, then comes on again.
    Anyone know of a good shop in the South Bay or Long Beach to get it checked?
    Pep Boys wants $85 just to hook up to the computer and Chevrolet says I gotta leave it for at least a day!!

al cole'holic
    mirvin:
    The light keeps coming on. It turns off after a couple miles, then comes on again.
    Anyone know of a good shop in the South Bay or Long Beach to get it checked?
    Pep Boys wants $85 just to hook up to the computer and Chevrolet says I gotta leave it for at least a day!! Do you have an exhaust system or headers on it?

mirvin
    Yeah, there's a flowmaster exhaust, not sure if it's a CatBack or just a muffler and tip. No headers. BTW: 98,000 miles.

al cole'holic
    mirvin:
    Yeah, there's a flowmaster exhaust, not sure if it's a CatBack or just a muffler and tip. No headers. BTW: 98,000 miles. I would say have a "hole-in-the-wall" muffler shop take a look at the exhaust, check for leaks etc...if you take it to Chevy they will most likely tell you its the exhaust system. That idiot light for the early 90's pickups was for exhaust sensors mostly...good luck

mirvin
    al cole'holic,
    Thanks for the info. I figured it was the oxygen sensor or one of the many other sensors, maybe the cat converter.
    I've been driving it like this for months and just figured I should have it looked at.
    Thanks again.

al cole'holic
    mirvin:
    al cole'holic,
    Thanks for the info. I figured it was the oxygen sensor or one of the many other sensors, maybe the cat converter.
    I've been driving it like this for months and just figured I should have it looked at.
    Thanks again. No problem I have put so many sets of headers on the 92-95 year trucks that I had, I remember puting black tape over the service light and just leaving it alone...

fixit1002
    I dont want to say that was bad advice but im sorry its not an idiot light it is most important and if you keep driving you can cause some big prob i have been a mechanic over 20 years and a smog tech for over 12 if it sets a lean code it means fuel pres or vac leak or possable senser no matter if its a fuel prob i sure wouldnt want to take my fam acrosss the desert pullin a boat with a prob like that anyway jump the aldl connector if its a 95 its still obd 1 jump the connector at the far right count the flash and post the code ill tell you what possable problems it could be sorry for soundin however cant help it i take that light seriosly
    fixit

Dr. Eagle
    I agree. You may have a problem with a sensor, or a lean condition can be caused by something as simple as a dirty fuel filter. The big canister filter on the frame rail on the drivers side. If you have not changed it in a while might be a cheap place to start. Next have you ever changed the oxygen sensor? If no, then another worthwhile investment. Bottom line, you don't want to keep driving if it is running lean as you are likely going to destroy the valves.
    In any event it is best to figure out what the computer is trying to tell you. It is definitely putting out some kind of fault code. That means that something is happening that is outside of the normal operating parameters, or is beyond the computers ability to compensate.
    BTW I had a 1992 1500 suburban with a 350 and I now have a 2500 suburban with the 496, put cat back flowmasters and K&Ns on each of them and never had the check engine light come on. pig_flyi In any event with the light coming on... Don't ignore it!
    [ September 25, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

mirvin
    So I finally got around to jumping that connector and got codes 12 and 32. Talked to an emission style mechanic friend (Smog Pros) and he said it was probly the MAP sensor or the O2 sensor> he said not to worry about it and bring it back when I can leave it all day. I told him I was gonna pull my boat with it and he said no problem.
    Pulled the boat to Buena Vista and back and the "Service" light didn't come on at all the whole trip!!
    Dr. Eagle: Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna start with the feul filter and go from there. Truck just turned 99,000 miles so I might as well start going through it.....

TrojanDan
    Replaced my Map Sensor about 14 months ago on my '94 C1500 5.7 after the Service Engine Light kept going on. Runs great for the 12 miles to the launch ramp and back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast