Thread: 1996 Suburban Starting Problems....

kevnmcd
    I have a problem with my 1996 2500 Suburban with the 7.4L. When I start it, it is drawing so many amps that it is reseting my radio clock and cd changer. I have replaced the battery and starter but it is still doing the same thing. What could be drawing so many amps? Is there a soleniod somewhere that I don't see? Have any of you experienced this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    [ April 27, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: kevnmcd ]

Jbb
    Look carefully at your cables cabke ends and ground connection...Had a similar problem with an el camino...cables looked perfect..when I pierced the plastic coating......green corroded mess

kevnmcd
    I didn't see anything but I will take another look. Thanks.

JetBoatRich
    I had problems with my 93, thing would shut off while driving. This can be dangerous around curves, after hit and miss items, it ended up being the module in the CARB.
    I would start by checking the connections, my motorhome has a 454 and the cable on the starter got burnt on the headers

Party Cat
    Check your positive battery cable. Our 97 ocassionally had problems starting til I changed the cable. For whatever reason, alot of Suburban's have that problem.....

I have 2 1996 K2500 suburbans and both have experinced problems with the + battery cables becoming slightly loose at the battery and causing shutdown. Wiggle the cable, tighten it up all is well.
    I know that's not your problem, just thought I'd throw it in. The only things that can cause enough amp draw to do this are 1. excessive resistance, and 2. a dead short. Since a short would blow fuses or fry wiring I'd focus on the resistance issue. All battery cable connections would be my first target to examine. Corrosion, Oil at a connect point on the engine of the ground cable, green under the plastic as mentioned above. Any of those could cause what you're describing or could be aftermarket equip as mentioned also.
    My experience is that most problems like this turn out to be something pretty basic and simple "once" you find it.
    Let us know what you find. It's good info being that alot own these trucks

kevnmcd
    Well, here is what I have done so far....there are two (+) cables that attach to the battery. When I replaced the battery, I just unscrewed the bolt and reattached. So after seeing your posts here I went out and took them off, separated them and cleaned them all up. There was some corrosion between the two cables (not too much). So far it seems to be working. Thanks for the help. I will drive it today and see how it does.

Stoked
    My 92 dually will occasionally do the same thing. I happens more often when the motor is hot. I have cleaned everything, replaced the battery and it still will have a mind of it's own. If I let it sit for a minute it starts right up. It's a real bad feeling having your truck not want to start in Indio with the wife and kids giving you that look???

Trailer Park Casanova
    Same here with our '96.
    Gave us fits for awhile 'till we bumped into a GM Maint field rep at a Cantina.
    He told us GM took a little money out of the Battery and cables and they're probably the problem.
    Yep, that was it.
    Cheap fix, go all through the cables and connections. When in doubt, change it out, it's cheap.
    [ June 14, 2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]