Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excursion Limited

Boatski
    I'm Thinking about buying a 2000 Excurison Limited with a 7.3 powerstroke. I will be towing my 21' howard. Anyone tow with one of these? What Kind of fuel milage are you getting? Any problems with this year. Negitive and positive comments appreciated. Thanks.......

HammerDown
    Well ya got a great motor for sure...the only negative thing I've herd about those trucks is the ride being a little harsh. As far as fuel mileage...kinda depends on driving habits and what gears are in the rear. But I know of someone in the low 18 mpg range.
    I came very close to buying one when they first came out...but the Ford Diesel 4 door crew cab 4x4 W/6' bed is what I need.
    Forgot to mention...make sure theres (SCA's) in the Radiator, because cavitation can be an issue with the 7.3's.
    [ July 23, 2003, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Boatski
    Well I bought the Excursion. Can't wait to tow the boat to the lake next week for a checkout run and then to the river Aug.18. I'm curious to see the diferance between a Suburban with 350 engine (what I had) and 7.3 Turbo Diesel Excursion. Thanks HammerDown for the reply. What are (SCA's)? BTW My wife liked the ride, did not think the ride was harsh at all. Thanks again.......

HammerDown
    Boatski, welcome the the Ford Diesel Family! You'll want to visit this site>...http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads
    Everything you could ever want to know about your Ford Diesel is on that Forum...and a great Forum if I may add...no BS at all. And theres even a thread just for Ford Excursion.
    CSA is short for (coolant system additives)...one of the only problems that (may) cause a issue with the 7.3 is Cavation in the Block...due to the vibration of the Diesels and the casting of the Block...small air bubbles form and actually (can) over time cut/bore through the cylinders and cause "pin holes" or Cavation. the "SCA"'s as its known is a liquid additive that is put into the radiator that helps prevents this dreaded problem, and the levels are checked with dip strips. Now not saying this happens to all Diesels...but the 7.3 is actually the old 6.9 bored out...so the cylinders at the block are thinner, thus they see the problem more. I have over 150,000 miles on my 7.3 with no problems. I've herd that it mostly happens to trucks that are worked very hard and never had the CSA's in the radatior. It could happen with as little as 60,000 miles or as many as 300,000 miles.
    Do your self a favor and do some research on that site...it's a great place to find out all about your truck.

johnboy
    I got to agree with HD on this one. The dieselstop.com is a great forum/learning place. Kinda like ***boat minus the drama. I have a first year PSD CC/Dually 1994, and my wife has a 00 X. The X is a NICE vehicle you will love it. Just remember the oil cahnges affect performance, the injectors open under high oil pressure when it breaks down they are less responsive. I love the 7.3, and would not take for either one of ours. And I work for GM As well you gots to love that 45 gallon tank on the X. Pulls hard and gets decent mileage we are seeing 18 or so on ours and we both drive hard. H D what is your username on the TDS?
    Johnboy.

HammerDown
    johnboy:
    I got to agree with HD on this one. The dieselstop.com is a great forum/learning place. Kinda like ***boat minus the drama. H D what is your username on the TDS?
    Johnboy. Why it's HammerDown...
    That is an Awsome site...and this past June I had the pleasure of attending a IDI Rally held here in Pennsylvania...and meet several other Ford Diesel owners from that Forum...Great folks...all of them.
    [ August 29, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

JetBoatRich
    I visit that site often, helped me make the decison on my new truck.

johnboy
    That is an Awsome site...and this past June I had the pleasure of attending a IDI Rally held here in Pennsylvania...and meet several other Ford Diesel owners from that Forum...Great folks...all of them. [/QB]Imagine that johnboy94 for me...
    Prolly don't see you much, cause I stay out of the superduty area minus the X... Thinking as soon as the house sales and I get the new one built the '94 is getting an intercooler, stage 2's 5" straight pipe.....I got a buddy with a cummins I need to spank. Cindy does not like me messing with her X much so that is what my ol beater truck is for.
    John

HammerDown
    johnboy:
    That is an Awsome site...and this past June I had the pleasure of attending a IDI Rally held here in Pennsylvania...and meet several other Ford Diesel owners from that Forum...Great folks...all of them. Imagine that johnboy94 for me...
    Prolly don't see you much, cause I stay out of the superduty area minus the X... [/QB]I'm always on the "7.3 IDI(not power strokes)" thread. Theres some good pics from last June, under the IDI Rally pic thread.

johnboy
    Sorry did not mean to classify you as a Superduty I missed the IDI from the upper thread. I almost bought a clean 94' ext cab 4wd IDI before I bought my PSD. I like em both, but momma said I needed a crew cab so I was not gonna argue!
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast