Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercruiser oil

phebus
    I have been using Mercruiser engine oil , but what is everyone else using in place of it? Boat is used primarily on Lake Havasu during the warm months. Multi viscosity, or 40W? Suggestions..........

Dr. Eagle
    Sounds weird, but Engine oil is one of those things everyone seems to have an opinion about. I have been using full synthetic oil in my last 3 boats for over 12 years. My old 21' Daycruiser with the 350 King Cobra is still going strong (sold it to my neighbor across the street) with over 1200 hours on the engine.
    Mercruiser used to recommend a single weight 30 or 40 weight oil. It seems when they went to EFI they also got the engines running a bit warmer than they did when they had Carbs. I think that is when they went to the 25w 40 oil.
    I used the Mercruiser oil on my Eliminator Eagle 300 XP with twin 502 Mag MPIs until the original factory warranty was up. Then I switched to Full Synthetic oil. Switching to the synthetic oil reaaaaly quieted the valves and lifters.
    I have read quite a few articles in Powerboat, Poker Runs America, and ***boat... and the consensus among the writers was the synthetic was a better option.
    It does not create sludge in the engine like conventional oils and is significantly slicker, resulting in a measurable increase in HP. Just how much that increase is seems to be debatable. As I recall, Teague said in excess of 10%, but I have read other places as little as 4%. Regardless you should notice it.
    Now it is a good idea according to all I have read to stay with either a 20w-50 or 15w-50 synthetic oil. Lower weights are not recommended in anything I have seen.
    I have tried Amsoil, Red Line, Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1 Supersyn. I have settled on Mobil 1 supersyn 15w 50 as the best bang for the buck. Amsoil and Red Line cost 2x what Mobil 1 does.
    I now use that in my Ultra 21'LX with the 350 Mag package. It purrs...
    I have since been corrected, I think it may have been Tyler Crockett in Powerboat that gave that 10% figure. Teague likes single weight oils.

phebus
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    I have settled on Mobil 1 supersyn 15w 50 as the best bang for the buck. Amsoil and Red Line cost 2x what Mobil 1 does.
    I now use that in my Ultra 21'LX with the 350 Mag package. It purrs...
    Thanks alot, I have decided to take your advice and use the Mobil 1 supersyn 15w 50 with a K&N filter.

Dr. Eagle
    Good choice on Filters, that is my choice too...I used them on my Eliminator, now on my Ultra.

phebus
    Now, I just have to find a better way of removing the old oil. I use a drill mounted pump, but it is messy and slow. I wish my engine had the new system with the tube that is accessed through the transom drain. I am going to look for one that screws to the top of the dipstick tube. Anybody have suggestions?

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by phebus
    Now, I just have to find a better way of removing the old oil. I use a drill mounted pump, but it is messy and slow. I wish my engine had the new system with the tube that is accessed through the transom drain. I am going to look for one that screws to the top of the dipstick tube. Anybody have suggestions?
    Which engine package do you have?

If

phebus
    It is a Mercruiser 5.7/Alpha 1999

Dr. Eagle
    On your engine, the dipstick tube should have a threaded fitting on the top. If you go to your local marine store ask them for a Par Engine Oil Pump. It looks like a small bicycle pump with a big hose coming off the side.
    When you change the oil, you warm the engine up on the hose so that oil will flow and then hook up the pump to the dipstick tube. You pump the oil out (it goes very quickly).
    I just stick a 5 gallon bucket into my engine compartment to receive the oil. It does a great job, and is quicker and less mess than the drill pump. I tried the drill pump over 12 years ago with my first stern drive and gave up after the second oil change.

phebus
    Ordered a PAR oil pump from BoatFix.com. I was told from others in the past that they were a good company to deal with, and had good prices. I should be all set now.
    Thanks

Dr. Eagle
    Life is good

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast