Thread: Paint options

newbie Mike
    I am going to float the Beisemeyer in about 2 weeks. I know I keep saying 2 weeks, but it seems there is always a little more to do. My son and I have agreed that we want to spend a little time having some fun. The next part of this project is to paint or gelcoat. has anyone researched paints that are good. and how does one repair the crazing in the existing gelcoat? There are lots of cracks in it. :

HavasuBarney
    There are different of types of cracks and several reasons why it cracked to start with, you'll need to address both.
    Do you have any pictures, maybe we can help.

Keithb87

boatdude
    Painting anything can be a great project, a boat even more. I have painted a few and I can honestly say it is an undertaking.
    More of an effort with a complete color change. PPG is my "milk" for material, if you find a dealer who knows there shit they can point you in the right direction. Lots of checks/cracks require alot of prep...sanding, sealing, etc. Epoxy primer with a additive for flex (if it still exists) is a must for good adhesion. A good "highbuild" primer after that which I used K200 (can't get in my neck of the woods anymore) and then a good amount of good-ol wet sanding. 320-400-600. Basically modern automotive paint has come along way, so the "good stuff" I used to use has been replaced with extremly "enviro-friendly" materials, along with application. My recomedation is to find a dealer near you and pick his or her brain. A re-gel may be more cost effective, however I don't know squat about it.
    Prep is the answer !

well....let me start by saying that its all up to you on what YOU want!!I myself went with paint because I like to change colors I paint my cars when I get burned out on the color I sand it down and paint it and it really holds up great and besides if you get a bad skratch you can wet sand it and buff it out!and if its real bad you can sand and repaint it (BLEND IT IN )and then buff it out!!I would do what you think you can handle !!like I said I like to change colors every 3 or 4 years and thats why I have all white interior in my boat!!so do what you think you can do. I don't like gelcoat myself to much work to keep it shinning ( note more time working on boat instead of shooting rooster's)just my opion so good luck what ever you deside:wink: :wink:
    Mark

Damn I just saw where your from if you deside to go gelcoat give Barney a call they say he's DA-MAN later
    Mark
    oh here is a before pic