Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Block Ford questions

beached 1
    Which block is it that has the thin cyl walls? I can't remember.
    D1VE?
    If so, what is the casting number of the blocks with the thicker walls? And how much can they be bored out to?
    Lastly, did Ford ever produce a cast iron 4 bolt main block for the 429/460?

Blown 472
    I have heard the blocks after 76 get thin, any block you are going to bore really big should get sonic tested but the early ones will go .100 easliy from what I have read. The only factory four bolt main blocks are the super cobra jets with the screw in core plugs. I have also read those blocks are weak in the webbing. A two bolt block will take a ton of hp.

Your D1 block is a good one. Still wouldn't be a bad idea to have it sonic checked to see how far it will bore. Some of the early blocks will go .160" over to a finished bore of 4.520" sonic checking is a must for this big of a bore. Some CJ and all SCJ blocks were 4 bolt main and heard rumors there is a truck block that was 4 bolted but I've never seen one. Then there is the A-460 block from SVO that has all the good features like priority main oiling, heavier main bulkheads, thicker decks and are cast in high nickle iron.

LakesOnly
    Beached1,
    The D9TE block is a lighter, late model block that may not overbore very far...certainly not as far as the earlier blocks (C8VE, C9VE, D0VE aned D1VE). The earlier blocks are significantly beefier and the way to go in almose every perfomance circumstance.
    Also, several performance manufacturers make 4-bolt cap kits for the BBF.
    LO

SPECTRABRENT
    Garrit,
    What are you up to with that BBF?
    Are you going to a 514?
    Brent

beached 1
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    A two bolt block will take a ton of hp.
    How much HP would you estimate?

beached 1
    Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
    Garrit,
    What are you up to with that BBF?
    Are you going to a 514?
    Brent
    514 at the least. Now that I have a good-solid running 466 in the boat, I can take my time (and money) and build a monster. I have a spare D1VE block that is only .30 over and I wondered how far I could go with it. My fear is that it might be one of the "thin walled" blocks that really can't be bored much at all. I am hoping to get a few good seasons out of my 466 and if or when it gives, I'll have a 514+ sitting on stand by.
    Thanks for all the answers guys. Much appreciated.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by beached 1
    How much HP would you estimate?
    I believe the truck pull guys are getting 7 to 800 hp out of them, you should get ahold of "Engine systems" down in GA. Smart guys

Almost all D1 blocks will take the .080" overbore to make a 514, the only exception would be a severly core shifted block. Thats why I recommended having it sonic checked. As for the 2 bolt main I would suggest studing the mains and that should be sufficent for just about any naturally asperated engine with stock type heads running under 7K rpm. If you plan on running heads like the A-460s or that type then a gurdle/main cap web or 4 bolt caps would be a good idea.

Blown 472
    True dat, I get alot of cap walk in my blown deal that is not putting out a bunch of power. Make sure you modify the mains to get full flow to the back two bearings, double check the front top main to make sure it is not covering the hole that feeds the dist gear as this will wear really fast, dont cross drill the crank and use a good pump, I have a stock cj iron pump in mine and it works fine. Also check the passage from the pump to the front of the block to make sure the galley plug is not covering up most of the hole.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast