Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep or Manx?

Mandelon
    Some of you guys know I have been casually looking for a decent Manx type dune buggy for a couple of months. But perusing the trader I noticed that some of the late 80's Jeep Wranglers are about the same price as the decent buggies.
    What do you think? Our main uses will be the desert roads around Borrego, fire trails and maybe Ocotillo. Need to carry the family and be street legal.
    Pro's and Con's?????????

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Mandelon
    Some of you guys know I have been casually looking for a decent Manx type dune buggy for a couple of months. But perusing the trader I noticed that some of the late 80's Jeep Wranglers are about the same price as the decent buggies.
    What do you think? Our main uses will be the desert roads around Borrego, fire trails and maybe Ocotillo. Need to carry the family and be street legal.
    Pro's and Con's?????????
    I have a newer wrangler a 2000 TJ Sahara. The beauty of the wrangler is that the aftermarket stuff for them is plentiful. The other beauty is that the 4.0L I 6 has tons of torque. Also the gear train is readily available in the junkyard if you need to replace a F/R axle or transfer case. Just my .02

MagicMtnDan
    Jeep!
    You can buy just about any part new and used for a Jeep. And you can modify it to your heart's content. Plus more places can work on them.

FastTimmy
    I think the jeep is the way to go if they are now in the same price range. Just do not get the four banger. They are terds...

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by FastTimmy
    I think the jeep is the way to go if they are now in the same price range. Just do not get the four banger. They are terds...
    Yes you are right on...get the 4L engine, the 4 banger is pretty useless...

Ziggy
    The Manx is the classic--gotta get one of them babies! V-dub parts are a dime a dozen. Nothin' says "cool family" in the desert like the Manx.. Make sure you get one with awesome Bass Boat like paint job
    Personally, I'd love to have one of those VW "Things"...then you'd have a jeep like deal with removable doors and such, mix and match parts...how fun would that be??

Mandelon
    The Things were pretty cool and is actually on the list. They are pretty heavy though and won't climb as well. I'm thinkin' the Jeep can get us up and down some of the cool canyon roads out there.
    So no good on the 4cylinder, any particular years to watch out for good or bad??

mtndewdrops
    I vote for the Manx, it has a lower center of gravity for less chance of a rollover. Less ground clearance may deter you from going too bonzai...VW's are easy to work on and pretty reliable. Jeeps are cool, but I don't care for the short wheel base...like riding in a go-cart.
    Good Luck

TCHB
    I bought a Jeep and am very happy with it. It has power brakes, power steering and a good set of breaks. It is a lot of fun in the desert hills and I can still launch my boat if needed.

JetBoatRich
    Dune Buggies are cool, I have taken mine in all kinds of terrain. Never have the back end stuck. TIf you do get stuck, grab a friend and just lift the thing out. Easy to work on, cheap parts, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast