Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many miles on a Duramax

Just Tool'n
    How many, & what has needed to be replaced?

Jordy
    I've got 36K on mine, so far I've replaced the exhaust, the airbox, the computer program to make the engine run better, and pretty soon, I'll have to replace the tires.

jackpunx
    So the bottom line is your happy and haven’t had any problems with your truck?? What kind of performance did you see from those mods?.. I’m trying to decide if I want to stay with GM or go with Ford.. .. They say the Ford is bullet proof as far as 4x4.. but the trannie is weak.. I have also heard that the GM has an amazing drive train ... but its not a great 4x4.. What’s your experience with this...
    thanks in advance
    Mark

MissHavasuCig
    Be careful with choosing the Ford ~ I just got my '03 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD Lemoned! I had so many different problems with it that it was rediculous ~ and our friend has the same exact vehicle and is having many of the same problems!!! We just ordered a 2500HD w/Duramax...

Jordy
    I'm very happy and even more impressed with the overall performance. Granted, I work for the Allison dealer and I'm kinda partial, but the Allison is the baddest tranny out there right now. As far as performance gains, I don't have any hard numbers yet as I haven't gone back to the dyno after the programmer, gibson exhaust and K&N cold air kit, but it flat hauls ass. I had my buddy's 6 horse gooseneck this weekend and ran up to Payson (100 miles or so east of Phoenix) and there are some serious hills between here and there. Set the cruise at 70-75 and never slowed down. Unreal.

jackpunx
    Nice.. Thank both of you for the reply..
    jordanpaulk ,
    What kind of mileage are you getting? and did your upgrades void the warrantee?

Jordy
    I'm getting 16+ around town. That's with 285's on it and driving it like a race car. Perhaps I could get better if I slowed down a bit. As far as voiding the warranty, not that I'm aware of. The programmer stores the stock setting, so putting it back to stock is not an issue. I've never heard of exhaust or air filters voiding the warranty either. So my money is on no.
    If you're thinking about the new 6.0 Ford, I haven't heard anything good about them, from injector problems to the tranny, nothing that would make me look twice at them. I'd get an older 7.3 if I was ever tempted to go that route, but I'd pretty certain that I'll never be that tempted. :wink:

fourspeednup
    So the bottom line is your happy and haven’t had any problems with your truck?? What kind of performance did you see from those mods?.. I’m trying to decide if I want to stay with GM or go with Ford.. .. They say the Ford is bullet proof as far as 4x4.. but the trannie is weak.. I have also heard that the GM has an amazing drive train ... but its not a great 4x4.. What’s your experience with this...
    Are you planning on lifting?
    GM
    -allison doesn't like bigger tires w/out gears/ recalibration
    -ifs sucks
    -motor kicks a$$
    Ford
    -watch the tranny w/ power increase
    -solid axle 4X4 rocks
    -6.0 makes more power but has issues

JetBoatRich
    Looks like you are down to the top trucks out there,.
    Heard nothing bad about the Chevy Duramax, like the feel of the Allison. I was talking to a dad on my son's football game with a 2003, he loves his truck.
    The people on here told me about thedieselstop.com web site, I lurked there for some time before buying. Once I felt issued were corrected, I purchased a 04-Ford F-350 with the 6.0. No problems, pulls great gas mileage, lots of room. Awesome truck
    I think if your buying new, it may come down to personal choice, drive them both and see what features you like.
    Jordy and I talked about it, once you have a dielsel you will never go back.
    Good luck

jackpunx
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    Are you planning on lifting?
    GM
    -allison doesn't like bigger tires w/out gears/ recalibration
    -ifs sucks
    -motor kicks a$$
    Ford
    -watch the tranny w/ power increase
    -solid axle 4X4 rocks
    -6.0 makes more power but has issues
    Yea.. I would like to lift it a little around 6" .. I’ve seen the f350 dually with a small lift and off road tires (stock size).. Looked bad ass.. I haven’t seen that with the Chevy yet..Im in the middle of selling and buying a house.. as soon as I get that sorted.. I will be looking very seriously for a new truck.. Someone will score when they buy my truck.. it has all the goodies.. its going to be tough ($$$$) to replace it..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast