Thread: Filling holes

Too Old
    Ok, whats the best way to fill the holes where I took off the arch? What I have is four holes from the bolts on each side of the deck. I can'r see the need to dowel these. Agree? So what's the material of choice to plug the holes. Keep in mind the boat's getting ready to go to the painter, so the material needs to accept paint.
    Thanks guys..

Magicfloat
    My technician, Dano, said go to an auto parts store like Autozone or Pepboys and get an epoxy resin filler that is used on plastic or fiberglass body parts. Easy to use and not porous so it takes paint well. Call him Monday and he can give you more details

Magicfloat
    Darn it, I have to remember to clear that default setting on the frown face.

ratso
    too old. depending on the size of the holes, they may need to be glassed and then filled with gelcoat. a good boat shop will have a repair kit in stock. DO NOT USE CAR BONDO! using the wrong materials will show up later and blemish your new paint job.

Too Old

airship
    I refirbished an old 1972 13" Boston Whaler for my neighborhood kids to use and to learn a little about boating. When when I got it it had the origional gel coat and 26 holes of various size and locations. Ultimalty I painted the BW with Awl Grip. I would highly recommend the West System products with the appropiate thickners. The one thing to remember is that all resins will shrink as they cure. I assume the arch bolts left about a 3/8" to 1/2" hole. Just make sure it is completly cured 2 3 weeks at 70 deg. I only waited 5 days or so, the smaller holes were no problem but the 1/2" holes did show up through the paint. Nobody seems to notice but me but there they are 4 little 1/2" divits looking at me ....