Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley Red or Blue pump???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am planning on changing my fuel pump. I am running a mechanical pump on my 455 olds with a tunnel ram. For some odd reason I feel like I dont have enough fuel so I am thinking about switching. What do you guys think? Which pump is better? Red or Blue????

TIMINATOR
    Why do you think that you don't have enough fuel?What pump?What H.P?I run a mechanical.TIMINATOR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    i am currently running a .30 455 olds with tunnel ram(2-600cfmholleys) cam is 230@.50,headers,msd6al,and a stocl 442 hp mechanical pump. When I hit the pedal to the floor the top end studders like its lacking fuel. I havent drove my boat since 4th of july. i am going to start running it again.

TIMINATOR
    It sounds mild enough to me,it should work fine with a high volume machanical pump. I run a 572 with a 1050 AND a 175 N2O shot (BIG ROLLER CAM TOO!)with an Edelbrock hi-vol and the fuel pressure never gets below 6 lbs. Hard to read the gauge at 105+ mph so I get the DEBONATOR to do it! Yours is an easier deal because of the 2 carbs, you have twice as many fuel bowls and needle and seats. Sorry you didn't make it to the Bartlett thing,wanted to meet ya! TIMINATOR

TIMINATOR
    OOPS... maybe the 442 pump isnt as good as the Edelbrock or the Holley that I had.Make sure that you feed it with 1/2 inch line on the suction side too, and a big changeover valve. also mebbie the coil is going bad, get a gauge! TIMINATOR

TIMINATOR
    The Holley didnt use an external regulater, but I got paranoid when I put on the squeeze and the new pump uses a regulator. Hey how come the post count didnt change for the last post? TIMINATOR

HOSS
    red, blue pump sucks. As in sucks blown dirt.

Infomaniac
    Any 6 check valve pump is more than enough for most engines.
    The Clay Smith version is good for 1.200 HP.
    Make damn sure your fuel system is not restricting flow. Start with the tank outlets.
    This is the most common problem I see with fuel delivery issues.
    The next common problem is using inline regulators rather than bypass regulators.

Dave C
    I ditched those holly electricals for one of those new high volume mechanical. Much better.
    Those electrics always used to get rusty and the metal always fell apart on the off season. Junk, IMO.
    Good luck.

If you're going to go electrical, go Mallory geroter design.
    Holleys are inherently suceptable to moisture damage inside (damages vanes and then seals). Once that happens it puts strain on the motor, then the motor goes away, not to mention leaking. I've gone through several Holleys on my ski race boat and finally switched to Mallory. No more problem. Just my .02 on electric. The mechanicals above work excellent too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast