Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rectangular or oval heads???? Is this a deal??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok guys heres the deal. I am working on my "other" boat now. I got tired of the damn olds thing so now I am ready to finish my chevy. I have a set of 781 oval port heads that i was going to run but i talked to guy today at a machine shop and heres what he said. He has a set of rectangular port heads with 2.19/1.88 stainless valves,ported,polished,new studs,guide plates and springs that will handle up to .650 lift. he wants $750 w/ exchange. he said he set them up for a boat and the guy never came to get them. is this a good deal or what? will they work well on my jetboat? I plan on spinning 5500 rpm's. could someone let me know some info?
    thx 396

wideopen545
    what kind of rpm are you trying to pull
    that is a good price i just paid 500.00 for bare cast
    and how is the weather out their we miss not being their

Hotcrusader76
    To answer your question, yes that sounds like a good deal to me. Are they assembled or bare?
    If you're going to spin 5500 RPM you might be better off sticking with the large oval ports. The ovals out-fitted with 2.19/1.88 and a mild port job will keep you strong till 6000RPM and if sourced right could keep you under a good set of rect.ports. Just have to check around.
    What are the specifics of the engine?

Hotcrusader76
    wait a minute....."with an exchange" ??? Hell no!
    Offer him $750 cash and keep your oval ports. For an exchange they better be FULLY assembled.
    Seariously re-consider is offer and counter offer.
    ~Ty

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The heads are fully assembled and ready to bolt on. i was thinking about giving him a different set of heads for the exchange not my 781's.
    right now I have a set of 781's and a half set of stainless steel vlaves. i was thinking about replacing the studs and guide plates so that everything is new. If I was to complete my 781's these would be the cost.
    studs-$40
    guide plates-$30
    rocker arms-$300
    valves(8)-$100
    machining-about $250
    springs would come with my custom ground cam kit
    plus time porting
    =$720
    What should I do?someone told me that i cant fit 2.19/1.88 in my 781's! So I decided to only open up the exhaust side to 1.88 and leave the 2.09 stock.

GofastRacer
    Did I miss something??, you didn't mention what heads these are?, are they 049's or equivilant??, you don't want the peanut heads!..

396_Z
    I'd open up my intakes way before I'd touch the exhaust. I'm a firm beliver that BBC's flow enough on the exhaust side already when you run an open header style exhaust so go after the intake side first.
    Second point is that if you plan on staying below 6k rpm rec port heads will probably hurt your performance vs. a good oval. While rec ports will spank oval castings above 6500 if you look at the flow #'s ovals do just as good and have a better velocity below 6k.
    Third is the last set of BBC heads I had done for $400. That included tank, mag, surface, ream guides .030, 16 new valves (+ .030 stems) new springs, locks, retainers, cutting the guides for the lift and assembly. For $750+exchange I'd want some KY too.

77charger
    IMO the oval ports will be better to 6k rpm with mild porting then the square ports take over.Another thing is that the square ports wil need a manifold that is for a square port to get the most out of them.(an oval port type will work but will be restrictive)and vice versa

gnarley
    Don't forget the exhaust valves. What type of exhaust valves would you plan on installing?
    I should have asked what type of boat is this going in & how do you plan on using it?

H2OT PURSUIT
    You said 5500 RPM. That being the case you need rect. port heads like, you guessed it, a hole in the head. IMO.
    Scuba, Sky or Muff, No Dive Too Tuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast