Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 496 HO vs. HP500

HavasuHome
    The 496 HO has 425 HP whereas the HP500 has 470, a difference of 45 HP. Is it worth the extra $~15k to upgrade to the HP500? Keeping in mind that the you can't buy an extended warranty on the HP500 and that the 496 HO has closed cooling whereas the HP500 does not. This would be in a ~5300 lb deep v. Thanks for your input.

SUPERCREWJOHN
    Horsepower isnt the only factory when considering a motor. Torque, and the quality of the internals components makes all of the differences. For a heavy boat, I would make the move to either the HP500 or the HP525 with the XR Bravo drive. The HP525 has the closed cooling and all of the Smartcraft goodies that you would gain with the 496HO
    My delima was recently similar to your own in that how can you justify all of that $$$ for just 45hp. It will be worth it in the end for the same reason that the 2 foot syndrome catches us all within a year or two or 6 months if you're really unlucky
    In what type of boat, are you going to use the powerplant?

Pet This
    Th Hp500 is hand built with all the good stuff to run wide open all day. I have one in my 25 rage, awesome, reliable motor. But at this point go straight to the HP525 and get the extra 30+ HP and closed cooling and the new generation electronics and aluminum heads and CMI's latest long tube (more low and mid torque) headers. With a boat of your size I wouldn't go with anything less. Are you purchasing a new boat or repowering? The 500 can be had for about 20K total (flame arrestor to bellhousing) and the 525 about 5 or 6 more. The boat manufacturers rake you over the coals for motor upgrades, essentially 0$ credit for the smaller motor you are upgrading from. But if you are ordering now you should be able to swing an upgraqde at their cost. My .02

rivercrazy
    I agree with the reply's so far. But it really depends on your performance goals, expectations, and your strategy for power increases down the road.
    In my experience the 496HO has been a really good motor for me. Very reliable, great performance, etc. Its only weakness is the cast pistons.
    That bigger boat will react the the HP motors very well with their additional torque and easier performance upgradability

prosthogod
    I'm not an expert in this field, but I have a HTM SR24 which is ~4500lbs. With the right prop I can do 73-75 with the 496HO. bigger motor is also heavier. I would call Arizona Speed and marine and talk to them. I believe you can change the pistons and put a new fuel injection system on for a lot less $$ and get another 150-200 hp. Call and find out.

HBjet
    If you ever want to upgrade your stock power with better cylinder heads, or internals.... Make sure there are plenty of aftermarket companies making those parts for your motor. As far as I know, there isn't any aftermarkt parts for the 496 so your stuck with bolt on goodies until there is... whenever that will be.
    HBjet

shockwavebd
    Remember the old saying ...........go big or go home
    ..........................525 ................... more bang for the buck

Just Tool'n
    Go as big assd you can afford. you can never have too much!
    Also remember size does matter, Oh & so does horsepower!

nextasex
    Go with the 500!!! You will not regret it!!!
    Trust me.
    Frank

OutCole'd
    I could not find the HP500 or the HP525 on the Mercruiser site. Are these Mercruiser engines? If not, who manufactures them so I could do a little reserch?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast