Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 496 HO vs HP500

HavasuHome
    The 496 HO has 425 HP whereas the HP500 has 470, a difference of 45 HP. Is it worth the extra $~15k to upgrade to the HP500? Keeping in mind that the you can't buy an extended warranty on the HP500 and that the 496 HO has closed cooling whereas the HP500 does not. This would be in a ~5300 lb deep v. Thanks for your input.

integra
    Very interesting topic!!
    I'm in this situation of doubt as you...
    500 EFI is more expensive, maybe too much, but for me it's a pleasure only to see it...
    496 HO is a very good engine, with a lot of reliability I think...
    The extra money are for the pleasure of having a racing engine, but only about performance for me it's too expensive...

roln 20s
    Good question, and although I have neither, I think it depends on what you are doing.
    45 HP for 15K doesn't sound like a good upgrade, however remember that the HP500 has better internal parts that allow for a pretty easy (and expensive) whipple addition. I know people are putting whipples on the 496HO, but I can't imagine that motor could be as good as the HP500 whipple. The new 525HP is going to take over for the current HP500- phase out. Both are great motors, and both will do good. If you plan on upgrading, I would go with the HP500, but if you don't, the 496HO seems to be a great motor.
    I've always asked myself that question also, and still not really sure what is the best option.
    Roln 20s

mbrown2
    15K for 45HP is not a good upgrade...particularly if you are spending on the HP500 to Whipple it later....
    15K HP500 Upgrade
    8K Whipple later on
    = 23K in upgrades for a 700+ HP motor
    Spend the 23K up front and upgrade to the 800HP Whippled 540 from GT, Teague, or Pfaff and do it right. ....It will be much better than the HP500 Whippled since it was built and blueprinted from the ground up to make that sort of horsepower....
    Or give Informaniac and get a deal on a brute horsepower non-pixie dust engine...

TPI
    Interesting topic Dont forget that a portion of that upgrade $$ is for an HP Gimbal. which the 496 does not come with(about $1K more) In my experience, More people will under power there boat due to the motor package price, and spend 2-3 times more over the next few years trying to make more power out of the low buck motor, with tons of regrets, rather than biting the bullet for a nice 600-800 HP EFI up front. It's a tough nut to crunch, but its worth it if you pick the right power package. The Gen Vl 502 is a great motor to work with. Maybe the way to do it is to go with the 496, save money, sell the 496 when your tired of it and use the proceeds for a new more powerful efi a couple years from now, just a thought? So many choices when building boats. Good luck.

Just Tool'n
    Do get a hold of Infomanic, he builds a bitchen motor!
    If I were closer to closer to Ok I would use him!

Kilrtoy
    yeah what MBROWN 2 said,
    Damn i hate when Im beaten to the punch....
    but yes it is worth the upgraded price
    Simply way to explain
    drive a new 6 banger camero
    then drive the SS,
    i hope that clarifies it for you

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by integra
    Very interesting topic!!
    I'm in this situation of doubt as you...
    500 EFI is more expensive, maybe too much, but for me it's a pleasure only to see it...
    496 HO is a very good engine, with a lot of reliability I think...
    The extra money are for the pleasure of having a racing engine, but only about performance for me it's too expensive...
    I have a friend that took his 502 Mag MPI and pulled it to put on a procharger system. While out he had the engine painted the Merc performance blue and got some billet pullies and a Hardin K&N falme arrestor. Damn engine looked as nice as any merc racing motor. And had well over 550 HP to boot for about half what the 500 HP upgrade cost.

TPI
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    I have a friend that took his 502 Mag MPI and pulled it to put on a procharger system. While out he had the engine painted the Merc performance blue and got some billet pullies and a Hardin K&N falme arrestor. Damn engine looked as nice as any merc racing motor. And had well over 550 HP to boot for about half what the 500 HP upgrade cost.
    Thats the great thing about the 502 mag. If you change the cam, valve springs and rocker arms, It is mechanically the same motor as an HP500. Obviously the intake plemum, cmi exhaust, and other little "cosmetic features" make it different and more pricey. The 502 is very solid up to 800 HP with the right head gaskets. Compression is 8.75:1 which is pretty close to where you would like it to be on a pump gas, supercharged engine. If you service your 800HP whipple efi regularly, it will last a long time.
    Remember though, "with bigger power comes more options": External steering, drive upgrades, lab prop, ect................ You have got to factor these items into your upgrade, or you will be devistated when you see the total bill.

integra
    The problem is right this!
    I heard one guy who overcharged a 496 HO and obtained about 700 hp, but I think Bravo One X cannot bring this kind of power..
    what is "lab prop"???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast