Thread: Having a little trouble.

THE VIKING
    Now this Pontiac engine i dragged home is puzzeling me a bit.
    It should be a 350, 5,7 liter engine, i was told, but after removing the heads i have measured it to be 6,455 liters( with the margin of precision my digital meauringthing gives.
    I even called a math teacher i know to find out if i was calculating it correctly, and i was.
    What is this shit??, I took off the heads to find the stamps on the pistons, so i could order some oversize ones, what is this i have, 383, 400??
    Why is there no stamps on top of the pistons with their size, original size????????
    Thes question may be more stupid than a door slamming, but i'm not used to work with american engines, so a couple of answers would be great.
    The viking.

DansBlown73Nordic
    If its standard bore it will not say anything on the top of the pistons.

DansBlown73Nordic
    6,455 is a huge motor....:eek!:

THE VIKING
    Well, it should match my dick, so........................
    The diameter of the pistons are 101,61 millimteres, and the stroke is 79,28 millimeters, maybe someone could make a calculation to determine if i'm stupid or what????
    Otherwise the engine looks great, no crack, a little rust in the bores, but will make a fine core for an engine.
    The viking.

Recheck that stroke measurement, I bet its 76.20mm(3 inch) with a bore of 101.6mm(4 inch). According to the charts on this page - Engine bore and stroke (http://www.donsautopages.co.nz/enginespecs.htm) - it looks like a 301cu.in

THE VIKING
    I'll check tomorrow, sounds like a ****erengine if your'e right.
    And i'll take the thing about my dick back, of course
    The viking.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Those should be called SilliMeters...They Suck.....:yuk:

FlatStupid
    The main question is how many pistons are in that Pontiac? Then fiquering displacement gets a helluva lot easier. You know that this liter thing is a really lame attempt by the Americans at playing nice! :eek!:

FlatStupid
    Really, just a number off the block and the mystery will go away faster than you can say Cheif Pontiac!

THE VIKING
    I have checked out, but the stroke remains the same, 79,28 millimeters. but the block says 301, so no doubt there.
    And yes i know, millimeters is a bit much for an American, just like the wheel, and toiletpaper ( sorry, said in the most freindly and humourous way)
    The trouble is that the machineguy speaks millimeters, and the pistonguy speak inches.
    I'm, gonna check the crank, see if it's the original one.
    As i said, i do not know much about american engines, but this one has to be stroked.
    Anyway, it will make a great lawnmowerengine, to wake the neighbours up in the morning!!!!
    The viking.