Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot-linking will be blocked

***boat
    After a review of our data transfer from the last month around 15% of our total bandwidth is being taken up by people linking to images in the image center from other sites. This number is steadily growing, so within the next week we will be shutting down the ability to use an image from the image center anywhere but in the ***boat site.
    This is just fair warning. I know a lot of people use avatars that are posted in the image center on both this site and others and they are not the problem, however to stop the people that are just posting an image in the image center as data storage we need to shut down all hot-linking.

MJ19
    ***boat's image center doesn't always work correctly
    Have those issues been fixed?
    This is what I get when I try to upload a picture into ***boat's image center lately...and why it's saying something about a 'thumbnail' I have no idea, I was just trying to upload a regular image like I have done in the past (before all the changes)
    Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 710 Command: D:\inetpub\imagemagick\mogrify.exe -format gif -quality 80 -geometry 40x100 D:/Inetpub/websites/***boat.com/image_center/data/500/333Avatar-thumb.gif
    Are you stopping me from linking my avatar (which is currently at a different location) to ***boat AND ~ OR stopping me from linking my ***boat uploaded images to other sites?

***boat
    What problems are you having with it? The most common problem I see with the image center and the forums are people with privacy settings too high in their web browser. About twice a day I get an email from someone that reads "I cant loggin" and it is almost always because they have their privacy setting too high.
    Let me know what the problems you are having are and I will take a look.

Jbb
    Is the hot linking the issue that keeps knocking this site off line ....or did it happen while you were busy calculating the numbers...?..........

AZKC
    Sounds like hotboatpics.com is going to get busy
    KC

sidewound
    Originally posted by ***boat
    After a review of our data transfer from the last month around 15% of our total bandwidth is being taken up by people linking to images in the image center from other sites. This number is steadily growing, so within the next week we will be shutting down the ability to use an image from the image center anywhere but in the ***boat site.
    This is just fair warning. I know a lot of people use avatars that are posted in the image center on both this site and others and they are not the problem, however to stop the people that are just posting an image in the image center as data storage we need to shut down all hot-linking.
    That kinda blows! I was just starting to think I was link "SAVVY"!
    Oh well. Start over I guess.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Dusty Times
    I thought maybe it was all the pop-ups we are now getting off this sight.

***boat
    Ok answering questions:
    1. Your avatar in the ***boat forums can come from any location you want, including the image center.
    2. If you are getting popups you probably have spy ware installed on your computer. We don't have any pop-up on ***boat. Run a search on google for spybot search and destroy, install it and run it. Also to eliminate future popup's, get a good virus checker like McAfee's 2004 that kills spyware as well.
    3. Yes ***boatpic might get kind of busy. Possibly too busy, we do about 600gb a month in transfer, and 90gb a month of extra traffic is not cheap.

NashvilleBound
    would you like a little cheese with that WHINE???? :yuk: Its your site...either run it right (working) or get off the pot so someone can....sheeesh.

Dr. Eagle
    Sooooooo........
    Are you Administratin'
    OR Commiseratin'????????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast