Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone heard of....

...a mini jetboat,...pretty much a sea-doo without the sea-doo? lets just say a 10-12' hull (fiberglass)light weight and the use of a pump and motor? has anyone thought of tying this? because i have a friend that (back in highschool) bought some plans and made this thing out of plywood, now dont get me wrong we were young and did'nt know anything about anything, so he bought a 25hp merc (i know) strapped it on and trailered it all the way to havasu,... had a blast!!!
    the only problem we had was that were the ply butted up at the bottom, flexed and came loose! so we started taking on a bit of water! so to make a long story short we put it on the trailer and towed it home to repair it!!!! needles to say, it is still on his parents property out in temecula, just waiting to be repaired!
    my questions to you guys are,...
    1) is this a stupid idea?
    2)has anyone tried to do this?
    p.s. im looking for pics of the boat at speed! thanks, todd

Jetdriver
    There is a guy in Woodland Hills on Topanga Canyon Blvd. that has one of these mini jet boats. Its on a small trailer. The thing looks badass, I have often thought of stopping and asking the guy if he would like to sell it. You can tell that its a seadoo pump sticking off the ass of it. I can only imagine that it must only hold 2 people. If you find any info let us know.

There was a guy that had this little hydro or tunnell hull ( i forget) that has a full race 2 stroke motor in it on nos ..It was a 3 cyl. 1200 cc yamaha motor out of a jetski and i think he used a sea doo pump with it. He sat on it like a street bike or something. He ran out at ming with it a few times, looked like it had some handling issues but ran like 70-75. He definatly had some money tied up in this thing,it looked very trick.Waste of $$$ if you ask me
    I have seen lots of little lake boats, but they all had outboards on them.I have also seen a few 11' mini elim. daytona hulls in the papers for sale all w/ outboards.

Aluminum Squirt
    Check out some of the jet sprint boats. They are usually 11'-15', full roll cages, usually pull a couple of g's in the corners and are powered by anything from stock/mild to nearly 1000 HP. They specialize in turning/accelerating hard but most of the guys have quite a bit of money tied up in them-Aluminum Squirt

bigkatboat
    There were these mini boats built in Calif. in the late 80's. They had the o/b's and a Berkeley jet model. It had a 425 cc motor and the pump had lots of work done to it. They also were in Hot Boat with a prop driven one, and I saw one at the river with a Mazda 3 rotor with a E pump and nozzle. I think the boat was called Vortex? It was cool, the guy had a big and a little boat that matched.

canuck1
    check out the new zealand jet boating site. they have build reports and vidios of lots of that stuff

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    FOR A FEW YEARS NOW I HAVE BEEN PONDERING A VERY HEALTHY ROTORY (700 HP ON A BERK PUMP). IT WOULD BE JUST THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE I/O PEOPLE HAVE TO DEAL WITH. THE ROTORY/PUMP COMBO WOULD HAVE SOOOO MANY FEWER MOVING PARTS, BE LIGHTER BY FAR, AND SINCE A ROTORY IS IT'S FULL HORSE POWER JUST ABOVE IDLE(LINIER TORQUE CURVE) IT WOULD BE REALLY BAD AS* OUT OF THE HOLE! LET'S SEE THE DRIVE TRAIN WOULD ONLY HAVE ABOUT A DOZEN AND A HALF MOVING PARTS! ANY ONE OUT THERE EVER GONE ONTO ANY ROTORY WEB SITES AND GOTTON ANY JET BOAT IDEAS?...BILL.

Danhercules
    I am gonna do it one day. I am just worried abount not having enought torque. 20G has more, so that might work.
    There was a 12' tunnel with a turbo 20g on ebay a while ago. had a berc pump. Some one already mentioned it.
    I know a guy that tried a mazda in a boat, but he did direct drive. He took it to elsinore and bairly broke a plane. The then put a tranny from a RX-7 in it (with a cluch) and then went out. Did good. Must be funny watching him shift!!!! I never saw it run, just going on what he told me. I did see the boat.

Me thinks the basic concept has been tried before......
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C-202F-med.jpg

Chris J
    Something like this ?? Mini jet on E-bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443250055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast