Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: quad rotor

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by superdave013
    Heavy, You sure do sound like you know your shit.
    What do you race?
    You know what's funny? Out here it seems the "hot dynos" are the ones that get all the work. People go to Brummetts and get their feelings hurt and then go back to the "hot one". lol
    Dave, I'll tell ya what I race when this topic dies off. When I spill the beans, I'll be history on this forum.
    R.

HEAVYBOAT
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Whipple Charged
    It's pretty simple, the combo of lower temp and lower parasatic losses can be anywhere from 0-800hp depending on the application. The higher the boost, the more beneficial the screw becomes. You can't give exact numbers because every application is different. As I said, on the 900SC, it was over 100hp and that was the combo of lower parasatic losses and cooler temps. This was intercooled, it's more dramatic unintercooled because the intercooler effectiveness is higher with the increased temps.
    I agree, and I’ve stated that exact thing numerous times in this thread. The whipple shines at higher boost levels. But most of these boat guys wont even benefit from the big gains cause they don’t run high boost levels in their boats.
    What your missing is that the roots is no comparison to the screw in the higher boost levels.
    Im not missing that point Dustin, on the contrary… that has been my whole theme to almost every one of my posts!!!!
    The airloc BDS? C'mon, your not grasping the concept. This makes the roots better at one PSI and worse at another. Do you think there actually somehow magically locking the air? No, there controling where the air discharges and there trying to tune the outlet so you would only leak air back into the case in the smaller area. As I said, a large majority of the rotors are not passing air, with those exposed to the intake, they are acceptable to leak more. But at the same time, if this is not perfected to the airflow requirement, you will restrict the outlet and actually defeat the purpose. I've worked with roots for years and even worked on developing one for racing but decided against it. The roots can be improved, leaps and bounds, what your talking about is still about 30 years behind in technology. That latest concept has been done by others.
    Okay, here we go.That’s the tech that Im interested in. I’ve asked questions about the airlocs almost everywhere including here and I couldn’t get ANY independant feedback. I’ve had to go as far as pretending I have a boat just so I could "hang" with the serious boat blower guys. Can I ask you more questions about the air locs. Where exactly is it moving the air and where does it make the boost\power better and worse? Also when you say "This latest concept has been done by others" who has done it and what gains did they see?
    Now you keep refering to your motor, the fact is this, there is no such thing as a "tight" dyno. An engine creates a certain amount of energy or power, any number a measuring device gives other than what is truly being produced is whats known as "inaccurate." You should realize that you will never run your boat from 3000rpm to 6000rpm in 5 to 10 seconds under full load. If you think and even rec'd a dyno sheet that says 1175hp on your engine, a screw compressor motor with 100 less hp will still propel the boat faster. It will hold the HP within a few % while the roots will continue to fall. Put your hand on the roots after a run and then put your hand on a screw. Then tell me which is producing cooler air. Your getting false information, hold the motor at WOT for 10 minutes, see what it does. This is some of the durability studies we do.
    Come on Dustin, the word tight is commonly used to illistrate a picture of accuracy. Thanks for the heads up though. :yuk: Okay this s8it talker runs 1\4 mile drag cars. I will run my engine this yr from 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm hopefully under 9 seconds.. I am aware that whipples are not SFI approved but I still wanted to understand them.
    Thanks guys, I learned a little bit... I would still like to hear Dustins reply to my questions, but I will now go back to hanging out with the inbred drunkin trailer trash at my local drag strip.
    R.

HEAVYBOAT
    MY HEAVYBOAT
    Street driven 4060 pd BOAT

HEAVYBOAT
    Video of the heavyboat racing a slow ass Camaro.
    http://66283.150m.com/TheHookup/fairlane%2010.3.wmv
    (heavyboat miraculously transfers back into a drag racer...can be seen putting his dirty sweat pants back on and can be heard screaming drunken obscenities far into the sunset)
    PEACE OUT
    HEAVYBOAT

Infomaniac
    Well that was interesting. Comparing daily driver pump gas deals to race gas race engines.
    No need to run off HEAVYBOAT. There are plenty of drag racers here.
    This is a Blower Motor forum.
    Everyone is welcome. Not a dictatorship.
    If it were there could have been some fancy moderator editing going on in this thread.
    This place is addictive. Suspect we have not seen the end of HEAVYBOAT.
    He has not been around long enough to see any of the Infomaniac drag boat videos.
    Like this pump fuel Infomaniac's personal engine. Pushing the boat to mid 8 sec 1/4 miles. Probably 6's in a well set up asphault machine. What kind of BDS blower is this?
    Pumping the fuel from an alcohol barrel that is. (http://marineassault.net/July03.mpg)

superdave013
    Heavy, that don't look like it would float to good. lol
    But it's a bas ass car.
    One thing to keep in mind when looking at the "lake boat" combs that are around here is how the ave. guy drives them. A guy will buy a supercharged engine from someone like Info. He'll put in in some boat that has it under an engine hatch. Then he'll fill it up at AM PM with shit gas. Go to Lake Havasu when it's over 115 degrees outside. Lord knows how hot it is inside his engine compartment. He'll blast around the lake (huge lake) at full throttle. He'll run it like that all weekend for LONG periods of time. Then he'll want a warrenty repair when he melts the freaking thing. That's why most of these lake combos that are built for a customer are very very soft and fat on fuel. The ave. guy who just buys his stuff has no idea that he can't run it wide open with a heavy load for 10 or more miles on the cheepist gas at the pump.
    Ok, I've got a roots deal too. A little 8-71 that I re-stripped just about every race. I was spinning it 30% over but not on pump gas that's for sure.
    my little blower engine (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ngine1-med.JPG)
    I sold the boat less engine so right now it's just sitting waiting for a rainy day. Will prolly move over to alki the next time I do anything with it.
    I'm putting a twin turbo engine together right now for the 20' family lake hot rod. It will be a pump gas ski boat. I'm hoping this little 572" deal will make enough power to scare the shit out of the wife's friends.
    Here's an early pic from when I was mocking things up. I'm working on the intercooler housing right now. Also the wategates are not yet installed.
    my ski boat engine (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ock_up-med.jpg)

Freak
    That is a badass car heavy. Were you pedaling it in the water box?
    And your stuff is sick info!

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Well that was interesting. Comparing daily driver pump gas deals to race gas race engines.
    Nice try info, if it was a just race engine, I would have just made it a 13.5 cr mill and I wouldn’t have had to spent the money on the blower\intercooler. This car haunts the streets regularly around town in the summer 5% overdriven night after night on PUMP GAS! Can you say flat tappet camshaft? Still sound like a race engine? When I cranked up blower at the track and on the dyno it didn’t help performance much at all. You must remember all my posts asking guys if they had tested the intercooled point of diminishing returns. More boost ya, more power.. Don’t think so.
    No need to run off HEAVYBOAT. There are plenty of drag racers here.
    This is a Blower Motor forum.
    Everyone is welcome. Not a dictatorship.
    If it were there could have been some fancy moderator editing going on in this thread.
    This place is addictive. Suspect we have not seen the end of HEAVYBOAT.
    He has not been around long enough to see any of the Infomaniac drag boat videos.
    lol, I’ve been around this forum for a long time. And I know more about you then you think.
    But that is cool, thanks for the welcome.. I thought I was going to have to troll here again under a different handle.
    Like this pump fuel Infomaniac's personal engine. Pushing the boat to mid 8 sec 1/4 miles. Probably 6's in a well set up asphault machine. What kind of BDS blower is this?
    Ya, I’ve seen that video posted here before, nice boat...kinda looks like a BDS and let me tell ya…. If I didn’t live so far north I would even volunteer to come and tune the surge right out of that slug.
    [/B]

HEAVYBOAT
    Superdave. One word NICE
    Your engines are completely insane. The twin turbo set up is unreal.. 572 twin turbo? You HAVE to get some videos made up of that thing rippin it up.
    Like I said earlier, you boat guys are nuts!!
    Freak, thanks for the compliment. I’m actually putting that heavy slug on a diet this winter. It should FLY when its done...

superdave013
    Heavy, have you ever thought about putting an injector hat on that bad boy? Once you do you will never go back.
    When I ran carbs I could not turn the blower up much. Seems like I hit a wall and then all it did was make heat.
    Then I put a hat on it and loved it. A quick blip of the throttle during warm up and the boat wanted to hop right off the trailer.
    Oh, like the new avatar.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast