Thread: Saltwater Runner

likwidsukr
    I am building a boat to run alot of the time in the salt water. What do I need to do as far as cooling? Go with closed,but how to get water into ot pipes?

fourspeednup
    Run a hose w/ adj. valve and gauge from the jet pump straight to headers? Makes sense to me. Now you got me interested.
    How do the outdrive guys run water on their new closed motors?
    Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about, please post!

Aluminum Squirt
    pump--->heat exchanger--->out the back/through headers.....this is for the raw water. Run a traditional automotive style water pump on the motor to circulate water through the motor and heat exchanger. The heat exchanger usually has an automotive style radiator cap on in to facilitate adding coolant etc. Throw in an overflow can just like in a car and you are in business, just gotta try to keep those headers clear of salt water when you take the boat out of the water. Get some gate valves on the raw water side to adjust flow between the water dump(s) and headers and a thermostat on the coolant side and you should have some trouble free salt water running-Aluminum Squirt

HotHallet
    Salt Water=lots of wear and tear on boat, wasted trailer, lots of problems.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    BEEN RUNNING IN SALT FOR 6 YRS, ALL PERFECT SO FAR. MAKE SURE YOU DESIGN A GOOD BONDING WIRE SYSTEM WITH CARCATHODE OR A 7/8 ZINC ON YOUR STEERING TILLER(MINIMUM), TO CUT OUT THAT NASTY ELECTROLYSIS THING. YOU'LL GO FASTER THAN THESE FRESH WATER GUYS BECAUSE SALT WATER MAKES YOU MORE BOYANT, THE BOAT SITS HIGHER AND YOU GO FASTER...BILL.

likwidsukr
    Thanks guys keep em coming all good info, I live about 1 hr from the Outer Banks and have family there and there is alot of places to hang out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!