Thread: What size trim tab should I get for 20 foot Arriva - 12x9 or 16x12?

Damon
    I am planning on adding a set of trim tabs to my 20 foot Arriva soon and am stuck choosing between two sizes. 12x9 or 16x12. The difference is about $100.00. I like the Lenco Racing Tabs. I plan on building my own transom mounting plates. I am hitting 70 mph tops, and just need something to control the porpoising so I can get to full throttle/top speed. Is more/bigger better? or can you have too much? They would both fit my transom fine.
    I want to go with the Lenco Electric tabs, does anyone have any good or bad experience with them? I am not even thinking about K-Planes, or anything like that, Too much money. My budget is $600-$700.
    Thanks in advance.

powerplay230
    On that light of a boat do you really need tabs? What power are you running? Has anyone ever experimented with the Aluminum "big Foot" plates that you bolt onto cavitation plate like those sold by Bob's for outboards, noticed they also make for Bravo's now.

Damon
    Well, then boat weighs about 3300, and the power is 260hp, but I 'm swapping in vortec heads, cam, intake and carb this month. I hope it's at least 300 when I'm done.
    I am pretty sure i need trim tabs. I had a friend out with me the other day that had me beat by about 50 pounds and the boat was sitting low on the port side noticably, not to mention the porpoising issue. I can hit 58mph, but it starts riding up and then falling off, repeat... repeat... I think if I can just lift the stern a little bit I can stabilize that.
    After reading an article in one of the boat mags recently, I'm leaning towards bigger is better. Theory being that more running length in the water adds speed. I think I'm going to buy the lenco actuators and switch, and build a set with aluminum and 1/2" King Starboard.

powerplay230
    Damon,
    I would move post to either "outdrives" or "hot boats" maybe you can get some advice from someone who has more experience with this. I've never seen a boat of this size with tabs on it, I'm wondering if it is another problem- bottom of boat not straight, drive height, something??? or possibly design limits of the hull, I think 58 is pretty good speed for 20' Arriva.

gnarley
    Originally posted by Damon
    Well, then boat weighs about 3300, and the power is 260hp, but I 'm swapping in vortec heads, cam, intake and carb this month. I hope it's at least 300 when I'm done.
    I am pretty sure i need trim tabs. I had a friend out with me the other day that had me beat by about 50 pounds and the boat was sitting low on the port side noticably, not to mention the porpoising issue. I can hit 58mph, but it starts riding up and then falling off, repeat... repeat... I think if I can just lift the stern a little bit I can stabilize that.
    After reading an article in one of the boat mags recently, I'm leaning towards bigger is better. Theory being that more running length in the water adds speed. I think I'm going to buy the lenco actuators and switch, and build a set with aluminum and 1/2" King Starboard.
    Damon I went with Lenco's and what they call “racing tabs” because they are made from stainless & love'em, no hyd fluid to mess with! I went with the Racing tabs as we frequently cruise at 60 to 70 and wanted something stronger than aluminum. I also highly recommend the trimdicator! I went with larger tabs than recommended also do to the water conditions where we go. Your porpoising issue is due to prop & power, you don't have enough prop to hold it out of the water at the trim angle where it occurs. Find a GOOD prop shop to help you on the porpoising. The tabs really help when you have uneven weight in the boat or are in real rough water & the wind is really blowing!
    As an example when we first got our boat we took it out into the Sacramento River close to where it enters San Francisco bay and the area is known for lots of wind, which can make large waves. On one particular day we were heading into 4 foot waves with a stiff cross wind on the port side (left) and the boat just felt like it was wanting to roll over on the right it was listing badly due to the wind! It was very uncomfortable! Weeks later we put on the Lenco’s & encountered a similar situation then next time out. When I dropped the tabs & the right more then the left we leveled out & were able to take the waves at speed. If they hadn’t helped I would of sold the boat & I would now swear it acts like an entirely different boat, what a difference they made & it was well worth it.
    If you have any questions let me know & I’ll try to answer or send me an email.