Thread: Top Loader

Chris J
    I need to make an intake grate for my WJ and though I'd try and make a mild top loader. Most I've seen are nothing more than two peices of angle iron on the sides defecting the water up to the top of the intake. My question is how far down into the water does the pickup point need to be or how far below the bottom of the boat does the angle iron start? What size angle iron is usually used ? If anyone has some pics I'd like to see them.
    Thanks
    Chris

1HOTGMCJET
    I think Jim Lee over on Banderlog (www.banderlog.com) has something like this on his Jacuzzi pump - you may want to jump over there and post something up, I think he has pics as well - Good Luck!

BrendellaJet
    I had Jack at MPD make one for me. Totally custom, and very nice. Ill post a pic soon...

BrendellaJet
    here it is! Definitely not just some angle iron. Id post more pics, but I dont have any!
    As far as how far down do they stick-not much. too much will create excessive drag. You could start out by making the runners long, and trim accordingly as you test. Jack drilled new holes to mount also, adding a third hole as well. The wj intake is weak in the location where the loader mounts, so I am adding some quarter inch aluminum to the topside where the bolts come through to help spread the load... If you just go with the stock angle iron type-this probably wont be necessary, but with something more substantial- take the precaution. Jack has a jig that helps him determine where it should be positioned...you may want to call him and pick his brain...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ished3-med.jpg