Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo vs Merc

sea buddy
    On the boats I have tryed the Merc Bravo III had a vibration that the Volvo did not. If you look back duo-prop 1st, merc bravoIII 2nd, and current duo-prop 3 rd invented. The new duo-prop reflects a complete re-design after over 10 years in field with the 1 st duo-prop. Bravo III was designed to improve 1 st duo-prop and it did and does. But the current duo-prop improves (big time) on that duo-prop. I would buy whatever brand the dealer sells the most of, the differences are not that overwhelming. But once you go two props on one shaft-you will not go back.Its that good.

sea buddy
    Mike---DPX drive.
    I know that props must be replaced as a set, very important.
    Sorry, do not know that much about DPX drives, have seat time and good knowlege on duo-prop, just another voice from the bench on DPX.
    Try Volvo- they have tech reps that advised Wellcraft on your boat and a standard 502 installation, find that guy thur Wellcraft or Volvo, and you will have an educated opion.
    Try Steve Stepp at Veloicity boat in FL, he is a racer and has tried alot of stuff.
    Try Regal boats, they have models that run in the mid-65's with Volvos.

bullhead
    try and call joel at bronson hill props 714-953-5010 or check out there web site boatpropellers.com

sea buddy
    NEW information on VOLVO high performance drive and props for DPX drive.
    Your drive has a choice of three reduction gears inside the drive; 1.59, 1.68, or 1.78. You may "tune" the speed and rpm better with a gear changs versas as with a prop change.
    There is about a 4-5 mph change in speed with a prop set change.
    Do not spend your money until you understand the gear flexability that Volvo designed into their approuch to high speed.
    There is a 7-8 mph speed change for each gear change. Also, a gear change will lessen the loss of accel. grunt.
    Is the blower aftermarket? Most 502's leave the factory propped for 5,000 rpm and most guys never run them, if they want engine life, over 5,200 rpm. Again, the 5,000 rpm seems best.

Volvo.
    Bronson Hill Thrasher prop has been very good to me for years.280 amd 290 drives.
    In very high horsepower apps the DPX will fail.
    Also there is word of prop blade flattening out on DPX dual propellors.
    Where is the factory representation and support?
    They just discontinued there 2 big horsepower
    Innovation-built motor options.
    Great technology...Who (read MM)do you think copied them with their cone clutch and Duo-Props??
    Smooth helical cut quiet gears etc...
    Now owned by Ford but who would know where they are headed??

sea buddy
    Ford owns the car company not the marine company. Its owned by parent Volvo in sweden and they make billions on buses and other products.

Garry S
    I have a 2100 Regal bowrider with a 5 litre Gi and Volvo SX drive 2000 model. I have about 100 hours on it with no problems. It will easily top out at 64-65 mph with 1/2 tank and 2-3 people. I believe that its the stepped hull and not the drive that gives the top end. With the OEM aluminum 14 3/4 X 23 pitch prop it is lazy out of the hole or with skiers. I bought a Land & Sea Torque-shift prop and it is great out of the hole and at least as good on the top end but I CANNOT get the prop to stop sticking at high pitch. Does anybody have any experience with these props?
    They would be the cats meow if they would downshift reliably. Upshift is superb! Any leads much appreciated.

attyjas
    Would you put a volvo in this?? http://home.earthlink.net/~attyjas/

gstark
    Check out this months Trailer Boats. They do kind of a head to head comparison of Volvo v. Merc small blocks (5.7 v. 6.2), same HP levels, same hulls. Interesting results.

RBook
    I read the article, still would not purchase another Volvo. I still don't have the one I own back..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast