Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tunnel Ram or Victor?

BrendellaJet
    Im planning on building a 496 full roller motor for my Jetboat. how muchwill power suffer with a victor intake rather than a tunnel ram? specs will be the same as the HBJET DNE motor, I dont have specs available with me right now, but the motor makes 700 plus HP at 6300. Anyone?

LakesOnly
    Carburetor size on the Victor will make a big difference in estimations....but the tunnel ram will probably allow your engine to generate an additional 30-45 HP.
    Also, tunnel rams are not only about top end, they do lots for mid-range too.
    LO

BrendellaJet
    Lakes,
    What are you saying about carb size and estimations? Im planning on using an HP950.

Hotcrusader76
    HBJET 496 Roller motor...
    Generic Lakeboat recommendations-
    single application Victor Intake/HP950
    Victor-2R tunnel ram intake- Dual 4779s 750DPs or 660 Center squirter Hybrids (850 throttlebodys)
    Otherwise give it hell at WOT running a single Dominator or dual 950s
    ~Ty

77charger
    I think a victor and a dominator is a good combo.

Jet City
    I haven't had enought experience with TR's to make a fair judgement, but my own future plans include a Victor 4500 intake topped with a 1050 Dominator, my goals will be in the 600 HP range, I feel this would be simple and effective for a jetboat. I have to admit part of the attraction to the Dom over a choice like the 950 HP is appearance related. I don't see how you'd go terribly wrong with any of the set-ups mentioned, provided the tuning was right.

Hotcrusader76
    JCR...
    For a Lakeboat you might like the appearance but your throttleresponse will suffer. Something you may consider if you decide on something custom built is having the primary throttlebore signal increased with a larger booster skirt of low-end power and leaving the skirt smaller on the secondaries for the crisp top-end HP. A slow or fast progressive linkage would also work best with a 3-circuit Dominator.
    For a Lakeboat stay away from the 1:1 linkage even though your power to weight ratio is high. Meaning higher HP set-ups with less weight to move across the water love the 1:1 linkage set-ups, but for a cruiser application it will drive you crazy.
    Just me 0.02

Racing Ray
    Simply put you can not beat a PROPERLY tuned Tunnel Ram.
    However due to so many more variables tuning it properly is more of a challange for experianced tuners much less your average backyard mechanic. Once properly set-up you would never consider anything else unless you wanted better economy or class restrictions.

Jet City
    I agree with your statement about the 1:1 linkage for a hot pleasure boat, but my thinking was that as quickly as jetboats flash to their RPM limit I wouldn't have thought throttle response would be much of a problem. As for the booster mods, are you basically talking about useing the 750 Dom boosters on the primary side to increase velocity, and also reducing flow to roughly 900 CFM.

Hotcrusader76
    Not necessarily "750 Dominator boosters" but more or less a skirt design which obstructs the flow of the venturi and increases the signal strength at a lower RPM. Because these skirts range from .935" to 1.125" you can custom tailor the required signal (CFM flow as well) for that particular fuel curve.
    So...yes...in a basic sense, you would be buildling a Dominator that has a crisp primary circuit and a secondary that comes in for upper RPM use. Of course this would only work with a slip linkage set-up, not a 1:1 ratio. This design is consistent with the old spreadbore Holley's which used a very small primary and 2" bore secondary. Awesome set-up for rat motors.
    ~Ty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast