Thread: Outdrive Ratios

dgrothusen
    I have recently purchased a '99 Crownline 202LPX with a supercharged 5.0 (300HP). It has a 2.00 outdrive. Should I sell this outdrive or regear it? How easy is it to sell a 2.00 outdrive? How much would it cost to regear? I think I need a 1.47. Please help.

Dr. Eagle
    that is a pretty unusual combination.
    I think it is safe to say that replacing the gear sets will cost at least $1,500 probably more. It would be cheaper than a new drive.
    Is this a mercruiser, volvo or OMC??
    What RPM are you turning at what speed with what pitch prop?
    [ September 26, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

Dr. Eagle
    Maybe this will help you figure out what you need. This is a prop calculator that takes into account the different variables for the drive system, gear ratio, rpm and prop pitch and slip.
    http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

1BIGJIM
    Buy a couple on Ebay. I assume you have an Alpha drive? If you put much more HP to an Alpha drive you will need a spare. Just my 2cent. Good luck.

Dr. Eagle
    1BIGJIM:
    Buy a couple on Ebay. I assume you have an Alpha drive? If you put much more HP to an Alpha drive you will need a spare. Just my 2cent. Good luck. I don't think I would make that assumption...I have asked him what drive he has. All of the Clown er um uhhh Crownlines I have seen have had a volvo drive.

gnarley
    Is this a dual prop drive? I wouldn't assume anything about what drive it has! I have a buddy that has one with a B3 in it. Based on the ratio I bet it is a dual prop drive. I have seen plenty of the them with Bravo's as well as Volvo's and being an independent builder they can buy from what ever supplier they want. If it is a dual prop leave the ratio alone and work with the props.
    By the way Dr. Eagle it couldn't be an OMC, they weren't producing drives in 1999 to the best of my knowledge.
    [ October 01, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: gnarley ]