Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Pilots?

Boozer
    I take my first flying lesson on Saturday.
    If I like it as much as I think I'm going too then I am going to purchase a plane. So far I have been advised to get a Cessna 150 as my starter plane and go from there. A friend of mine wants to do a partnership on a Cessna 172 RG.
    Not really to sure what to do. I just know that the 150 will cost less to purchase by myself then a partnership on a 172 RG. I just dont know how long I could be happy with only havin seating for 2. The partnership deal would be nice when it came time for maintenance. And there seems to be a LOT of that involved when owning a plane.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LASERRAY
    Looking for advice? Try HOTPLANE.COM

Kilrtoy
    Boozer glad to see you back, BUT YOU ARE CRAZY. YOU MUST HAVE A DEATH WISH. Good luck

78Eliminator
    I used to take flying lessons and was just about to take my test but ran out of money. What do you want to know? PM me....
    J

rrrr
    Boozer, a 150 is a claimer. The 152 is the same aircraft with a larger engine, but even it hasn't been in production since 1985. Two seats, no power, and slower than your Bayliner. Good for training, shitty to own. Pass on that.
    The 172 RG is another mid 80's airplane. The retractable gear gives it a 13 MPH speed advantage over a fixed gear 172, but the maintenance costs cancel that out. You will not be happy with the surprises a 20 year old airplane dishes out. Besides, airplane partnerships are just like joint ownership of a boat, but 10 times worse.
    My advice is to proceed with flying lessons and examine your particular reasons for flying. If you can identify the need to travel within a 300 mile radius on a regular basis, then some sort of ownership might make sense. If you fly for the fun of it, then rent a new 172 from the local FBO and enjoy flying an up to date aircraft that offers reasonable performance.
    Have fun, no matter what. I love flying, it's a real joy to drive an airplane around....

Mandelon
    Does Bayliner make planes? Join a club its cheaper.

Cheap Thrills
    If you just need to feel the freedom of flying. and not depending on it for business
    may I suggest one of these ?get some stick and rudder time and a little tail dragger time
    this ones mine .
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1127kitten.JPG
    heres a web site . http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/7993/plane.html
    the Hipps facility that builds the kits is just down the road from me .. A.G. and Sharron are some of the nicest people I know
    I thought about going registered aircraft but theres ALOT of expense that goes with it . annual inspections,maint. insurance, hanger expense , cost of fuel , yadda yadda yadda
    if you enjoy building things theres probobly no greater thrill than the escape of gravity in a home built aircraft .
    if you dont build . and your lucky you might find a used one for a song and a dance ..
    if you want to carry two theres even a model for that but there you go into a different catagory requiring all the yadda yadda bling bling
    Have fun and good winds to ya .
    C.T. :wink:

NorCal Gameshow
    i've got a friend that's building one these:
    van's aircaft link (http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6int.htm)

Cheap Thrills
    Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
    i've got a friend that's building one these:
    van's aircaft link (http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6int.htm)
    That is one of the nicest ones out there all aluminum too.
    they kinda look like the Rans kit planes
    the J-3 Kitten kit is stitts fiber over chrome molly tubing on the frame and stitts over wood on the wings . and can qualify for
    FAR-103 ultra light catagory. its even reconised as FAR-103 by the FAA
    another good kit is the KitFox / KitFox Lite (FAR103)
    thanks for the link .
    C.T. :wink:

Jungle Boy
    Hey Boozer, Good to see your still alive. You have been away from the boards for a while. I have a few buddies that share planes and they don't ever seem to bitch about it like guys that share boats and other toys.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast