Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mag 496 HO

Mike'sSport22
    I am purchasing a Howard 22 Sport and I'm thinking of installing a Mag 496 HO. Anyone out there have any opinions, comments or experience with this new Mercruiser powerplant. Any info would be appreciated http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif.

COBRA98
    Originally posted by Mike'sSport22:
    I am purchasing a Howard 22 Sport and I'm thinking of installing a Mag 496 HO. Anyone out there have any opinions, comments or experience with this new Mercruiser powerplant. Any info would be appreciated http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif.
    Hi MikeSport22, It sounds like a nice package. I am looking at a very similar package. Which drive are you going to install. My vendor ( Essex) recommended the XR because I was looking to at somepoint in the future Supercharge the engine.
    I particular liked the digital engine display and the capacity to download your information to a laptop with some engine benchmarking software.
    Cheers

Mike'sSport22
    Hey COBRA98, thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty sure I am going to stay with the standard Bravo1 for now with either the Teague or Imco HP upgrades at a latter time. What is Essex charging you for the upgrade to the XP? I'm torn between 496 & 502 engines. The 496 sounds like a great package, although I think it would be easier to make HP mods to the 502.
    Tnx again COBRA98

Kanookstr
    Yes mike you are right about the 502, It has all the best internal parts to handle super charging. it also has a compresion of 8.75.1
    which is better for supercharging. I have the 502 MPI in my 230SX stingray with a procharger 3.5 - 5.0 lbs boost and I went from 73 MPH to 89 MPH on a GPS. I was spinning a mirage 25 pitch and now I spin a bravo1 4 blade 31 pitch. good luck.
    P;s; If you are considering a Procharger in your future Call C & B Marine (413)734-2844,
    He has the best price I found on the kits.

LMW
    I just bought the 496HO, mainly because I couldn't get the 502 from the boat manufacturer. The 496 has some neat features, like closed cooling and better stock exhaust. However, if you plan to modify (I didn't), you're probably better off at this time going with the 502. Look at all the aftermarket stuff available for the 502, then look for something to fit the 496. Not much out there yet.
    [This message has been edited by LMW (edited March 06, 2001).]

GhettoBird
    I just ordered my new Shockwave 21' Step Skier today and am putting the 496 Mag HO in. Don' t think I'm gonna need to do any upgrades in the future though....I did add trim tabs, but thats about it

GhettoBird
    I just ordered my new Shockwave 21' Step Skier today and am putting the 496 Mag HO in. Don' t think I'm gonna need to do any upgrades in the future though....I did add trim tabs, but thats about it

Magic Sandbar
    I have a new 496 HO and I am not pleased with it so far. It is running so rich the transom is covered with soot so black you cant even see the gelcoat. Mercruiser says just wait til you break it in and it will stop. YEA RIGHT!. I have never seen a motor lean it's self out when it breaks in. I just hope they take care of me if it doesn't get any better. The motor runs smooth and seems to have good power but, I think it would have more power if it were leaned out. Does anyone have any comments or sugestions?
    [This message has been edited by Magic Sandbar (edited April 10, 2001).]

ODDD1
    OK magic your a motor builder...got a new BB out wuth fresh hottest to date electronic engine management electronics allow you too run ALOT of cam and still hold a mild idle speed.....you just gotta fatten up the mix on the low end and mind the timing , piece of cake! BUT jeese, better make it a little richer during breakin..ya know motors make more heat then.....might soot the transom but OH WELL....

AlterEgo
    Originally posted by Magic Sandbar:
    I have a new 496 HO and I am not pleased with it so far. It is running so rich the transom is covered with soot so black you cant even see the gelcoat. Mercruiser says just wait til you break it in and it will stop. YEA RIGHT!. I have never seen a motor lean it's self out when it breaks in. I just hope they take care of me if it doesn't get any better. The motor runs smooth and seems to have good power but, I think it would have more power if it were leaned out. Does anyone have any comments or sugestions?
    [This message has been edited by Magic Sandbar (edited April 10, 2001).]
    Dude!, I'm glad its not just mine... I have a 230 Caliber1 w/ an HO and about 17 hrs on it so far. I go to Havasu mostly and after cruising thru the channel and no wake zones (which are painfully abundant there) I end up with mucho black soot on my white transom. Is a pain in the butt to clean up. Other than that the motor seems to run great. A friend of mine who is fairly knowledgeable w/ motors also suggested it may minimize w/ breakin but I have my doubts. I'm also concerned w/ the overly long pushrod recall on HO's I just read about. I would like to find out more since I have yet to receive any notices from Merc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast