Thread: Setup questions

Here's what I'm attempting to do this winter. My setup was as follows.
    Setback pump
    Shoe approx 1/8" down from center keelline
    Rideplate 4.7 degrees up from keelline when shoe is at 0 degrees
    3 degree wedge up
    speed loader
    Here's the results
    max speed is 73.7 mph with diverter positioned for 3'-4' roostertail. The boats riding pretty high and handles well.
    However, if the diverter goes to full up, the boat pulls hard to one side (can't remember which side though). I hardly ever run around with a full rooster so I wasn't too concerned about the pulling, although I know something isn't right.
    I won't include the nitrous results as it's really not too important. If I get her dialed in without the nitrous, it'll just add to the max speed when it's introduced (or at least that's been the case so far)
    What I'm attempting to do is flip the 3 degree wedge in an effort to lower the thrust line more than it is currently. Keep in mind that the rideplate was below the linkage when the wedge was installed up (I haven't adjusted the rideplate for the new wedge down position yet). It did appear that the linkage for the diverter may have been dragging in the water when full up and may have been causing the pull I was feeling.
    Here's some pics and as you can see, I'll have to lower the rideplate quite a bit to clear the diverter linkage. Most the photos of race boats (semi-v's) have the wedge down and not up. That's kinda what's driving all this.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/p...erter_down.jpg
    Here's a picture with the diverter full up.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/P...diverterup.jpg
    Anybody that has some semi-v setup experience and wants to toss out some advice.......................I'm all ears.
    I've tried dropping the shoe down an additional 1/16" and I lost about 3 mph and felt a draggin when I got off the loud pedal so I think I've got all the shoe in the water that I need.
    The boat may have been setup as well as it could be, but I've got to play with something. Thought this would make a good winter project. I can always put it back together the way it was, as it's all documented and easily reversed.

Unchained
    Originally posted by Squirtcha?
    Here's what I'm attempting to do this winter. My setup was as follows.
    Setback pump
    Shoe approx 1/8" down from center keelline
    Rideplate 4.7 degrees up from keelline when shoe is at 0 degrees
    3 degree wedge up
    speed loader
    I'm not real sure about setting up V bottom boats (or tunnels)
    But my opinion is,
    -Shoe depth even with keel line then use a gauge to see what the intake pressure is at top speed.
    -Rideplate 3.5 degrees up from level keel.
    -Remove the wedge.
    -Put a straight edge on the bottom of the rideplate and make sure that the hardware on the diverter is not dragging in the flow.
    - Make sure the loader is not hanging below the bottom.
    In your bottom picture you can see where you are bending the water flow twice.
    If you had the wedge in aiming up it would try to straighten out the flow rather than put more bend in it.
    If it goes 10mph faster you can quote me as being the setup guru.
    If it goes 10mph slower then you never heard from me and someone else used my login name.
    Mark

Jet Hydro
    Looking at your pictures, am I really seeing the ride plate right? It look`s like it goes way up-hill?

If you read the message again, you'll see that I haven't adjusted the rideplate after putting the wedge in the down position. That's why it looks so out of whack. I was going to drop the rideplate angle at least enough so that the diverter linkage isn't dragging in the water before running it.
    The original setup was with the wedge in the up position and no linkages were dragging unless the diverter was in the full up position. Even then the linkage was above the rideplate, however it may still have been catching it some. I'm not sure cuz I can't see back there.

Old Guy
    I have no where near enough experience to coment on your setup. However, I have been told that a rideplate needs to have something vertical out on the side edges to stiffen it or it will bend and have exactly the same effect as a hook in the bottom of the boat.

Yup that's on the agenda too. Just need to find a suitable material and some time to make up the stiffners.

you know,...i was kinda wondering the same thing. ive been running my rogers for about 2 years and have gone thru 2 ride plates, because they just warp out? well, thats one more thing that im going to have to correct!! thanks guys