Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning mfg.

have any of you used their rail kit systems?...and if so, how much? (aprox.) thanks, todd

superdave013
    Originally posted by toddnjuzz
    have any of you used their rail kit systems?...and if so, how much? (aprox.) thanks, todd
    HB Jet has one in his boat.

Jake W
    I have one of their foot throttles it was 250 bucks and came in about 10 pices had to drill my own holes and no f ing instructions I had to look in an old Hot Boat mag to see how it was put togeather.It does look nice though.
    Jake

i guess i'll call randall on this matter! thanks guys!
    todd

superdave013
    Todd, if you can come up with a drawing or patteren you are more then welcome to come over and make what you need on my mill. But be forwarned, it's lots O work.

dave, i once again do appreciate the gesture,....but, on my better judgement call, i'de rather pay someone to make it! i would probably loose a limb or something, and then what,... you would probably have a camera arround, and "SHITHOWDY' there goes my credability about being good with my hands!!! lmao

BrendellaJet
    I think Duane at HTP sells them un polished for $350? But it does look like there is some setup required... I was told that rail kits are no stronger than a glenwood 4 point mount-they just look better and make it easier to yank the motor-any truth to this?

I have a question about these universal rail kits. If you buy this motor mounting kit, whos to say the motor is going to end up where it needs to be? My understanding is that every boat needs a different set of motor plates, and the idea is to get your crankshaft centerline to match the jet-drive shaft centerline.
    Here is an example: Look at Mikes motor plates compared to mine, his are much taller than mine,possibly by a few inches..They were built for that particular boat. I understand that if you run the double u joint its going to be okay if your off a bit, but how far off can you be? Oil pan clearance may be something to think about as well.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...l_Kit1-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...P00534-med.JPG

Bense468
    I spoke with Tom from Rex marine 2 years ago about Lightning's rail kits and he said they were nice but everytime they used them they needed to have some sort of mods done. In my opinion the best way to go about this is custom. If you buy the universal kit and half to have someone machine them down in some way or another how much are you really saving. If you go with custom ones you can make them look however you want and you know they are for your setup.

565edge
    I beleive that lightning makes them for either a tunnel or a v-bottom.But on either one you still need to line up the motor and cut the height of the motor plates.The motor plates are pretty simple to cut down.A skill saw with a good wood blade will cut right through it.I have used three of lightnings rails kits and they have worked well.I think there kit is around $650 or it used to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast